FORUMS: list search recent posts

what resolution/ratio/frame rate?

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rich novak
what resolution/ratio/frame rate?
on Sep 26, 2002 at 4:06:01 am

for your typical american 3d animated movie? say, monsters inc, toy story, etc... what resolution are they rendered at? what's the screen size ratio? and what's the frame rate?

i asked this question somewhere else,and got like 9 different answers. it seems like they couldn't agree. i just need the average joe blow 3d movie specs.

i really appreicate the knowledge base here.

thanks!

ren

Return to posts index

Brandon Sitte
Re: what resolution/ratio/frame rate?
on Sep 26, 2002 at 5:48:38 am

In the US the standard right now is NTSC. That is 30 FPS at 60 fields per second, remember that NTCS is an interlaced standard not like most computer monitors that are progressive scan. The resloution of NTSC is close to 640X480, is it actaully a little bigger due to overscan, but 640X480 works fine. Make sure to use the title and action safe options in the general prefrences. Movies are a whole other story Monsters Inc. was reandered at some insane resloution suited to projection in a theater.

Return to posts index

Jamie Hamel-Smith
on Sep 26, 2002 at 12:10:06 pm

There are lots of Resoloutions for Film... I have the Standard Size @ work (so i'll post it a little later) I'm dealing with it because we are currently doing some Theatrical type logo animations for a Cinema that is opening in a couple months... and the Frame Rate is Usually 24fps Even though I have Heard talk of Something Called 3:2 Pulldown... ? Leaves me Clueless... anyone?

BTW I for one am really Excited about the new Cinema it's going to be the First Multiplex in the Country! And we may Actually Get movies on time... we usually get the leftovers from the american cinemas about 1 month after the US release Date... :-(

Return to posts index

rich novak
on Sep 26, 2002 at 1:14:57 pm

great! where are you located by the way?

i'm really looking for resolution for projection. i'd sort of like to eventually enter a 3d short into a film festival... but i don't want it to look like crap. in projection, is it 30 frames per second, or 24?

thanks much!

Return to posts index

Jamie Hamel-Smith
Frame Rate, Resoloution
on Sep 26, 2002 at 1:39:47 pm

The Standard Film Frame Rate is 24 Fps,
The Standard 2K Resoloution is 1804 x 975 Pixels (1.85:1)
4K Resoloution would be Double that.

11.9% of the left side of the film is used for Audio Tracks so you might want to Offset your Animation 11.9% to the Right.

And if you are actually interested in Printing to Film Email this Guy,

chris@digitaldevoid.com

Return to posts index

Mark Simpson
on Sep 26, 2002 at 2:23:32 pm

There are lots of Resoloutions for Film... I have the Standard Size @ work (so i'll post it a little later)

Keep in mind that when dealing with film resolutions, the render times, RAM requirements, data storage requirements, and data throughput requirements are 'huge'. For the movie 'Ants' the storage requirements were 2gigs per frame. That's 2880 GB per minute, or 1 terabyte every three minutes. Now, that's not the norm, but it gives you an idea of what we're talking about here.

Generally speaking, 2K film res requires at least 7 times as much HD space as NTSC, and 4K film res requires about 4 times that. And we're talking uncompressed here. So figure on a minimum of about 140 megs a second for 2K and 550 Megs per second at 4K.

Digital VooDoo developers state a data rate of 178 megs per second for their High Def TV cards. So as you can see, you'll need lots of hardware storage to play with the big boys.

You'll also need to find a delivery method to get your data to the printing facility. I think firewire drives are getting to be pretty acceptable now. And figure on a minimum printing cost of about a dollar per frame. That's roughly $1500 for every minute of film.

Then you can also figure on render times that are proportional to the increase in data size. So if a frame takes 15 minutes at NTSC res, figure on 105 minutes for a 2K frame, and 420 minutes for a 4K frame. Best to have a sizeable render farm available,

and the Frame Rate is Usually 24fps Even though I have Heard talk of Something Called 3:2 Pulldown... ? Leaves me Clueless... anyone?

That's a concern when converting between film and video.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

rich novak
on Sep 26, 2002 at 3:07:52 pm

wow, good info. that's the exact data i'm looking for.

so then, what's the aspect ratio for a typical wide screen movie? if i render at low resolution with that aspect ratio, i could effectively watch the film on my computer, just like it would appear on the big screen, right? then i would re-render at the resolution needed for the screen, after finding enough storage space for the thing.

thanks all!

Return to posts index

Mark Simpson
on Sep 26, 2002 at 3:14:54 pm

Widescreen is 16:9

Yes, work at a lower resolution, and make periodic checks at high res, to make sure everything is behaving the same.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]