FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does my demo reel look?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
How does my demo reel look?
on Oct 12, 2018 at 1:39:06 am

Here is my latest one. I was told not to mix genres was too much, so I chose my thriller looking genre projects. Let me know how it looks. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How does my demo reel look?
on Oct 23, 2018 at 3:00:07 pm

I'm confused. What is this a demo reel for? Acting, directing, editing, camera work?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 23, 2018 at 9:59:53 pm

Sorry, for not specifying. Directing

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 23, 2018 at 10:15:27 pm

I think you should really spell out that it is a directing reel or put it in the title of YouTube link. To me, a director is who brings everything together and works with the actors. Because of that, I feel the montage pacing you have doesn't show off your skills. I would prefer to see a couple to a few scenes that really show off your work. No fancy editing just the scene uncut the way it was finalized and then move onto a different movie and show an amazing scene from that film. Montage Reels are for camera operators and motion graphics people.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 24, 2018 at 12:08:40 am

Okay thanks, I think when I watched other demo reels to get examples, I probably watched videographers reels then rather than directors reels.

Do you think I should show whole scenes play out, acting wise then, in their entirety? Cause I was told a demo reel should be no more than a minute, when looking it up, which doesn't really give a lot of time to let scenes play out. Unless maybe it should be longer?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 24, 2018 at 3:43:12 pm

I would show enough of a scene that I can get a sense of the emotion and energy the scene provides. Then move on. Most people show too much in a reel, remember your goal is to peak someone's interest and get them to ask to see more. As for the length of a reel, I agree, under a minute. That being said I think a directors reel is different. Show the least amount you can to get the message across and keep in mind people such as myself will bail from a real in about 10 seconds if I don't feel it holds up.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 24, 2018 at 9:47:45 pm

Yep for sure, thanks. When it comes to the footage you just saw in that real, should I just let it each one play out longer without intercutting back and forth, or should I show more dialogue driven scenes in a reel?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 24, 2018 at 9:49:04 pm

But then again you said no montaging. Do you think I should just let each of those scenes play out, or should I choose different scenes, since you said those ones don't seem to show off my skill?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2018 at 3:33:20 pm

The director works with the actors and tries to get the best performance out of them. For some reason, a lot of people think the director composes shot and does camera stuff which some do but that is the DPs job. The director focuses on actors performance and the overall mode of the film. I think you need to show a scene with great dialogue, I feel that is lacking in your reel. What is the best scene you have directed? Put that in. Show us enough of the scene so we get it and then move on to the next scene.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 25, 2018 at 9:52:28 pm

Okay thanks. And yes, I had other cinematographers do the actual shooting in those shorts. So yes, I can show some acting more so then.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 25, 2018 at 9:53:51 pm

The scene I directed with the best acting was actually a rape scene though, but do you think it would look bad if I put that in? Acting wise though, I would say it's probably my best work.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2018 at 10:13:34 pm

Depends on what your ultimate goal is. I build my reels based on what I think the target audience wants to see and what will get me the job.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]