FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wyatt
My Reel
on Jun 11, 2018 at 4:27:53 am

I've been trying to land some paid editing work in the Seattle area but so far I've had little luck, wondering if it has to do with my demo reel. If anyone can give me some feedback or suggestions on what's good or lacking in it, I'd really appreciate it.
https://vimeo.com/253198116

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: My Reel
on Jun 12, 2018 at 6:36:00 pm

What type of work are you trying to get with your reel? Your description says you are an editor, director, producer. If this is a reel to show off your editing and producing skills your reel is really bad. You created a montage reel that is used to show off motion graphics and cinematography. If you want to show off your editing skills I want to see an actual scene you cut. That tells me about the pacing and your style. I'm looking for your edits to be hidden and move the story along. A montage won't tell me any of that. I would show off parts of 2 or 3 of your favorite scenes. Also, I would really dump the lightning VFX in the middle of the reel. Hope this helps and best of luck in the job hunt.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: My Reel
on Aug 7, 2018 at 6:11:47 pm

Chris,

I agree with Stephen, your reel does you a great disservice and is too fractured and disjointed to sell you.

My reaction to it is this: the overuse of Star Wars fan things like lightsabers, etc., would tell me that I need to look elsewhere for my solution were I looking for one.

The intro type effects work is too quick and has no nuance to it. You might want to think through your intro as it establishes everything that comes after it. Then, following that, you need to decide what are you pitching? -- are you an editor, then tell a story as Stephen suggests. Are you an effects artist?-- then show your work but if it were me, I'd lose the Star Wars stuff, as it's really hard to compete against ILM and it puts you in wannabee territory.

Storyboard your next attempt and think about what you are trying to communicate and then think about it from your prospect's point of view.

Good luck in your efforts.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]