FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I use music videos that I edited in my reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Can I use music videos that I edited in my reel?
on May 17, 2016 at 8:30:48 am

I have an editing reel that contains portions of some music videos that I edited and the songs are copyrighted. Is it legal to upload it online? It's not like I took some random song and added it to my reel. I worked for a big company editing some music videos and I'm wondering if using portions of them would violate a copyright law.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: Can I use music videos that I edited in my reel?
on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:01:29 am

[Bobby Hall] "I have an editing reel that contains portions of some music videos that I edited and the songs are copyrighted. Is it legal to upload it online?"

No, you could find yourself the subject of expensive litigation, Bobby.

Unless your contract with the people you did the work for expressly gives you the right to use the work in your demo reel, I wouldn't use it. I once did some work for BMW which included some great stuff but I knew better than to use it because I was given no such right. (They have a long history of aggressively protecting their trademarks.)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]