FORUMS: list search recent posts

Licensed music in a Non-Broadcast film

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob engle
Licensed music in a Non-Broadcast film
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:19:34 pm

I have just run into a buzz saw when it comes to music licensing. I own a production company and created a film for my client. My client's client was the NCAA Final Four held in Houston. He choose a piece of music and we used it in the film under the music companies category "Corporate Video/Non-Broadcast, Multimedia. DVD - Territory USA". I waited for the bill and was going to pay it just like I pay for all the Rights Managed music I use.

Like a great deal of my films I put it on my website demo reel.

Skip forward three weeks and I get a bill for $857.22. What? The original track licence was $400ish (which I thought was OUTRAGEOUS) but that was the piece of music my client wanted. On this invoice I see the music company tagged on an additional license for "Internet/Website - One Year - Territory World".

I have taken the film off of my demo, changed out the music to something stock I had, and reposted it. I guess this small music company went to my website and saw the original piece created for the NCAA FINAL FOUR and tagged on the additional license.

I don't won't to pay for the additional "Internet/Website" license. Do I have a choice?

Rob
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]