FORUMS: list search recent posts

Montage or demo reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Arsenault
Montage or demo reel?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 2:11:41 am

I've done something I put off for over 20 years -- I created an editor's demo reel.

Why did I wait so long? Because every editor's demo reel I've seen has simply been a montage of other people's images and only shows an editor's ability to edit demo reels, not their skill as an editor/storyteller.

Don't get me wrong, I've edited PLENTY of demo reels for other people. Comedians like Danny Gans and Louie Anderson, actors like Christian Slater and Bruce Willis, and performers like Vince Gill and The Righteous Brothers. I've cut demos for American Airlines, Mitsubishi, and Disneyland. But an EDITOR doesn't need a demo reel -- he needs WORK SAMPLES to show what he can do.

I think the problem is that modern editors are much more than button pushers but maybe producers think of them as invisible men and women behind the curtain who only do what they are told. When I started, yes it was hard to technically overcome so many hurdles and every time a new effect was needed, even a dissolve, it required rocket science.

So, I think the biggest reason to create a demo reel is to give the producer something to watch while they read your resume -- and if that's what it takes to get work, that's what I did.

So, voila! Here is my attempt at a demo reel. Can someone please hire me? Yes I am available.
http://static1.media-match.com/uploads/site_5/86/431722.mp4

Richard
(323) 445-3726

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]