FORUMS: list search recent posts

A question of quality

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Smith
A question of quality
on Feb 28, 2011 at 12:03:22 am

Hey all, I'm a director and videographer new to this site -

I have a question that I have been debating (with myself and others), was hoping to get a few comments from the peanut galley -

I'm putting together my demo reel and the issue I keep debating is how big of a factor is video image quality (ie resolution)when one reviews a reel? A lot of my stuff is SD and furthermore my samples as a live director were only available to pull from a low quality aircheck archive - there was really no way to get a higher quality record at the time.

So the question is should I use this material or scrap it? On one hand I realize that on a reel, one should always put their best foot forward. But on the other hand, if the content is good (ie how well can this person cut a show together?) would a potential employer be willing to look past it (generally speaking)?

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: A question of quality
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:10:46 am

Content is King. In your case I would make your reel SD or even a little smaller if it is going on the web. If it is to show case your ability to direct a live shoot I think the viewer would look at where you directed the cuts, is the timing right, etc.....instead of look at the low quality images. Just my $.02.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]