FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo reel quesstions

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Corcoran
Demo reel quesstions
on Feb 1, 2011 at 5:44:37 pm

I want to mail out a load of resumes & DVD demo reels. Does anybody have advice on what employers look for with regards to type of DVD? What KIND of work do employers look for in a video production/animation reel? Is artwork on the DVD necessary or will a sharpie with my name and number suffice as long as there is a resume to go with it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Patrick Corcoran

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
Re: Demo reel quesstions
on Feb 1, 2011 at 6:38:05 pm

Afternoon Patrick,

I'm going to start with your last question first, Sharpie written DVD label? Let me ask you this, if you were going through a stack of DVDs and most of them had nice labels and packaging (I'm not saying that it needs to be the best of the best art work and such, but nice and professional) and then you come across a sharpie hand written label, what would you do? Myself, I'd toss it. Why? Because it shows me that the person who is sending me this, cares nothing about their image. This is an image driven business and what you send to someone and how it looks says a lot.

What KIND of work do employers look for in a video production/animation reel? This is where you have to do your homework and find out what those companies do and what they are looking for in a perspective employee? What they look for is something that is done well, entertaining and most of all, what can this person who did this demo reel do for me?

With any demo reel, you are selling yourself and your talents. If you only have a little material that is okay, just showcase the best of it. I'd rather see an editor/graphic demo reel be :30 than 3 minutes and put me to sleep. On the other hand if you are a DP I'm more inclined to have the reel be longer and show me what you can do with your shots and the composition of those shots.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Patrick Corcoran
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30:55 pm

Afternoon John,

I probably should have phrased my questions better. I was looking for examples of DVD types, Sony, Panasonic, Verbatim, etc. Is there a preferable industry standard? Reel labels from people that look at a lot of these things, not what someone hypothetically would do if in the situation. In your line of work do you come across a lot of demo reels? If so do you have examples where specifically you watched a reel that jumped out at you? Or saw they used a Verbatim instead of a Sony and trashed it without watching it.

Clearly a nice design is better than a Sharpie but when working on a strict budget, if a simple documentation on the DVD will suffice I will look into that. You say you would trash it, I'm not so sure I would if it came with a good resume. Having said that, your second paragraph is helpful and I will do my homework.

Patrick Corcoran

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 5, 2011 at 1:34:28 am

The company I work for seems to get calls asking for a job every-week. Whenever I get a Demo DVD that has a sharpie label I toss it. When you have a stack of demo DVDs you only have time to watch a few. There is a reason you can't find a DVD with a sharpie label at the store.

I would purchase DVDs with a blank surface. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Patrick Corcoran
on Feb 5, 2011 at 4:46:46 am

Hey thanks a lot Stephen. I've never actually given a demo to someone with a sharpie label, more curious than anything. I appreciate it, thanks again.

Patrick Corcoran

Return to posts index

Will Keir
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:57:53 pm

Hey it's great your asking the questions. The COW is a place for learning and growth. Now you know to stay away from sharpies where as you might have always wondered before. Good to know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]