FORUMS: list search recent posts

SHOWREEL: Music Cinematography (2 Versions) — Comments Welcomed

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Healey
SHOWREEL: Music Cinematography (2 Versions) — Comments Welcomed
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:08:53 pm

I've created two versions of a music-oriented, shooter's showreel. The first groups the content into projects and includes chyrons naming the project, band, and/or label. The second version forgoes any organization and presents the footage as a montage.

• Which do you like better?
• What elements (in either) don't you like?
• Do you like the pacing?
• Do you like the length?

Can't wait to hear what you all think.

VERISON 1

VERSION 2
http://vimeo.com/9868428

Return to posts index

Jonathan Healey
Re: SHOWREEL: Music Cinematography (2 Versions) — Comments Welcomed
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:59:24 pm

Bump for morning rush

Return to posts index

Filip K. Kasperaszek
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:11:14 pm

second version works better I think.

I feel like it is a bit too long, the shots of the last band are not too good actually

what I think is, that you should use more dynamic editing in some parts, like you did more often in second one, it prevent from falling asleep :)

Filip K. Kasperaszek
http://www.kasperaszek.com
movie editor

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:03:15 pm

I think the second version is better, I think the pacing at the beginning of both videos is excellent, but I feel that pacing kind of loses its way a bit.

I'm not sure about the labels, I don't think it's so important with this style of reel.

As for improvements I think you should try and keep it as pacey as the beginning all the way through, with perhaps breaks for the slower part of your soundtrack.

Don't really like the National Lampoon stuff, but perhaps you could make the cuts shorter or grade them differently as to make them more interesting.

Though good work all round, oh and nice titles at the beginning and end, keep it up.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Jonathan Healey
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:32:51 pm

Thanks for both your responses guys. It's very helpful.

Since you both don't like the National Lampoon selects at the end of both reels, I was hoping each of you could explain why? I put them in too demonstrate my studio work but there's obviously something wrong with my studio style so I'd like to make it better. Let me know.

Glad everyone like the non-segmented version better. I don't think it matter in this instance and like you guys said, it's much more dynamic.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:36:44 am

I just thought the shots weren't as visually interesting as the earlier stuff, so not very good to end on that. I didn't like the framing and I just thought the lighting and video quality wasn't up to shots like the concert shots and the shot by the window with the guy with the guitar.

I think you set a standard with the earlier shots and so therefore the Lampoon stuff doesn't stand up as well next to it, maybe a little trip to Colour would sort that out, or maybe stitching them in earlier, or just doing what an editor has to do sometimes and be brutal and drop them.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index