FORUMS: list search recent posts

How make a stunning demo reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Vargas
How make a stunning demo reel?
on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:50:51 am

Hi all. this is my first post and would like to hear your opinions or concepts to build a demo reel. Which aspects should be considered when setting up a demo reel .. music, editing type, gender, under that concept edit our own work, I think a demo reel is not a basket where we put everything we've done.

This is my opinion.

- Make a Selection of our best work.
- Pick a chord music to our work
- Analyze all we have.
- Show our best work, not all.In the shortest time possible

Luis Vargas
Graphics Designer

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
Re: How make a stunning demo reel?
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:15:15 pm

Good day Luis,

"I think a demo reel is not a basket where we put everything we've done" you are correct in your statement, a demo reel is where you put your best work. I tailor my reels to the people or companies I send them to. I'm an editor that has done everything to high end national commercials to network television and network news, so my work covers a lot of ground. In most cases, I have about a 60 second open that I keep pretty standard and then I change the rest of the content to suit the job I am pursuing. If it is a company that is looking for commercials than that reel is heavy in the commercial content, but if they are looking for someone who can cut packages and stories, I put more of that into my reel.

As far as some of the other points that you ask about;

Music is very important and it doesn't necessarily have be one piece of music. I like to weave different pieces to draw the viewer in. When using music, use a piece of music that has some interest to it. Just don't pick a piece of music that doesn't coincide with what you are trying to show to your audience.

Time, well to me as long as it keeps the intended audience's interest, time doesn't matter, but don't make it 10 minutes. When you watch it and it feels to short, open it up and let it breathe. If its to long then condense it.

Gender, I'm not sure about this, I don't worry about gender. But I wouldn't show offensive material no matter what. You never know who is watching.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Rick Pearson
Re: How make a stunning demo reel?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:05:41 am

I too try to tailor my reel to specific target goals I set for the reel. In the past I have had four reels in service and being sent out regularly at a given time.

Today I have one single reel which is the first element prominently displayed on my website. As a Director of Photography it is true that I have included as many dynamic shots as possible, but have also learned never to underestimate the draw of a well photographed human face.

It is strange to think that it is almost taken for granted that everyone can do the big sweeping show-stopper work, but employers seem to have a particular interest in whether a candidate can do the simple and effective work and make it just as powerful.

I suppose my point here would be to open big, catch their attention and then don't shy away from showing off the classic work that every job requires of a seasoned professional, it's worth more than we sometimes realize.

Rick Pearson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]