FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this ok? or illegal?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis chan
Is this ok? or illegal?
on Nov 21, 2009 at 3:45:22 am

I saw on a couple of my friends reels that they put content that they did not work on, but they did work on the same project. They just didn't work on the specific scene that they included on the reel.
I feel like in most cases this is a big no-no. But I was wondering what you guys think about this.

Return to posts index

Simon Stutts
Re: Is this ok? or illegal?
on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:06:05 pm

If they don't mind having their professional credibility destroyed and the entire rest of the reel called into question in a super-awkward moment during a job interview, then it's probably OK.

:-)

If they were a higher-up position (i.e. director, producer, art director, etc.) then its probably fine, as they had great influence over the whole piece. If they worked on one part and did NOTHING on others, and they've chosen to show the sections that they had nothing to do with...that's totally unprofessional and incredibly unwise.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:33:53 pm

Are you asking because you are considering doing that as well?

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. ~Mark Twain My boss interviewed someone with a reel that had a bunch of stuff they didn't do. He new who did some of the work and called the person on it. The person then said this is a reel of stuff they can do. He didn't get the job and I'm sure word traveled fast.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:26:07 pm

At the end of the day, it usually comes out what you've done and what you can do. I have encountered a small number of people that try to pass themselves off as something they are not. And guess what? Yes that is correct, they are found out and you bet word travels fast.

One of them, I even have given them a pet nickname. This person was hired by someone that I do some finishing work for, unbeknownst to me. And as he began to tell me what had gone wrong, I said her name to him. The look of amazement was priceless. He was stunned, to say the least. She has the same M.O. everytime, talk a good game, but when it comes down to actually having to do the work. Not a clue.

There are many times that I could have claimed to work on something that I didn't, but I rather live with the a clear conscious and get hired for my abilities and not someone else's.

Cheers

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]