FORUMS: list search recent posts

Entry-level Demo Reel Advice

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cardello
Entry-level Demo Reel Advice
on Oct 8, 2009 at 1:25:22 am

I recently graduated with my degree in multimedia and wish to work in the video world. My main interest is editing, but since I'm trying to get my foot in the door, I'm open to pretty much anything that can put me in that direction.

I'm having trouble putting together my demo reel. Not because I find it hard but because I don't know what employers are expecting. I know they want it short and contact information both at the beginning and the end. My problem is the middle. A lot of examples I watched are a montage to a sound track. Is that what is expected or is it ok to put the actual videos in it? I'm thinking intro clip with music, actual video, intro to next video, actual video, etc.

I only have videos I made during college for the tv station and projects, nothing from a professional job. The videos themselves I already shortened or are short PSAs and news packages. I know editing it this way shows I can put together a video from conception to production, but it doesn't give much room for creativity. I figured I can show creativity with the intro.

Any feedback about demo reels or finding an entry-level job in general is appreciated.

Carla
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

William Mims
Re: Entry-level Demo Reel Advice
on Oct 10, 2009 at 12:46:09 pm

Carla: As a person that has his own production company doing his own projects as the shooter, editor and director, I normally do not hire people to do those tasks so I can not say for sure what someone else would want to see of your work. And you are right there are a lot of demos set to music. The reason I am responding to your post is to hopefully guide you in the right direction.
First, what do you really want to do? That answer will point you in the right direction. If you say: Make commercials, then take any product and create your own version of a commercial for that product. Make sure you disclaim it as your work so you are not presenting yourself falsely. If you want to do dramatic work then direct a scene and edit it into a tight two minute piece. If you want to do music videos, then create your own with friends. The important point is be original, different, creative, with fresh ideas. That is what any employer is looking for. Then seek out companies in your area that are doing the kind of work that you want to do.
I hope this helps.

Mims

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:53:25 pm

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/173/857863

Next take a look at this demo reel: http://www.lonepeakproductions.com/demo_playback.php?id=reel09

I think it is a good example of how a reel should be put together for someone who wants to become an editor. The little snippets give an idea as to how the editor deals with pacing and that short of thing. There is nothing wrong with a student reel. My first reel was only student stuff when I started out and I think I've done very well for myself. Best of luck and be sure to check out the Jobs offered - Low/No Pay forum and the Jobs wanted forum.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ken Green
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:15:32 pm

I've always been taught (through college) at least have SOME audio bytes to go along with the demo pieces you are cutting together. People want to see your audio work, as well. Editing is not only video. A good editor has a hatful of tricks and skills.

KennethGreen.net
Redefining Fine Art to Fine Wine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]