FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice..

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Borelli
Need advice..
on Sep 21, 2009 at 6:13:21 am

Greetings,

A little bit about myself.. I've been doing video/animation on a freelance basis since finishing film school in 2004. Right now, I'm living in San Diego and aside from a few freelance gigs here and there, there isn't much work to be had here. I have my sights set on Los Angeles and really want to start getting my feet wet in this business but want to get into something a little more steady and stable, even a small production company to start. How do I go about this being so green? I posted my motion graphics/editing reel below hoping someone here could give me some insight on what works, what doesn't, strong points etc. I truly feel I have the raw talent, unique style and creativity to get an entry level position somewhere, but still am not sure what direction to go at this point in my career. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Glen Montgomery
Re: Need advice..
on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:45:07 pm

Hey Joe,
I was very much in the same position as you about 2 years ago. I struggled along the freelance route right out of school (which was not the best route as I had almost no connections and no network) doing small projects that kept my head above water. Luckily through a teacher at school I got an interview at a local production house for editorial. I did not fit the position they needed, but from that interview they called me back 6 months later when they needed an entry level editor and that is how I got my real start in this industry. Now, I have not worked on the most glamorous videos in these couple years, but I have learned an insane amount about workflow, client relations, and professionalism. These attributes are what will pay off when I move to the next career step, and learning at a high volume house is what has pushed me further than any tutorial. I say, go out and knock on every door in town, and I have to think there are more doors in San Diego than here in Cincinnati. Get a tour of all the post houses and make yourself known to them as an ambitious entry level guy. Even if you get brought on to a small shop that doesn't do the film and music video stuff we all want, you learn by being on the machines and seeing how experienced professionals work.

In terms of your reel, I think you have some real slick stuff on there, but it needs to be shorter. I love what you did with the green banner that flies through, but cut half of that program down. Have one or 2 scenes then the end card with the reality star, then get into all the other programs you have worked on. Short and sweet is necessary in this attention deficit society. Best of luck man, hope I could help.

-Glen

Return to posts index

Joe Borelli
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:10:17 pm

Glen,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm going to take your advice, re-cut my reel and knock on some doors. It's funny, in the back of my head I knew the banner fly-thru was a bit too long for my reel, but I was so proud of it that I wanted to put the whole thing in! Well, thanks for the feedback and good luck with your career. I think with the right attitude and persistence we can both make it as far as we want in this business. Best of luck.

-Joe

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Sep 25, 2009 at 12:24:51 pm

Joe:
I did not get to see your reel because it said it had been removed so I can not comment on that but as I read your reply to Glen I noticed something you said that you should keep in mind.[Joe Borelli] "in the back of my head I knew the banner fly-thru was a bit too long for my reel, but I was so proud of it that I wanted to put the whole thing in!"
As an 'old' editor/director, let me say when you are wearing both hats it is hard to be objective about your own work. As the 'director' you loved the shot, as the editor, you knew it was too long. (been there...)Remember that is what editors do, they fix what directors do so that it has a better pace or flow. Learn to wear only one hat at a time. Years ago I was working on a TV series at Universal, the 'guest' director that week had been an editor for fourteen years before getting a chance to direct. The short of it is-editors make the best directors because they learn to cut in their head as they direct. Once you have an editor's rhythm locked in your head you will begin to objectively cut out unnecessary footage before you ever shoot it. Sorry I did not get to see your reel.

Mims

Return to posts index

Joe Borelli
on Sep 26, 2009 at 2:37:38 am

William,

Thank you for the advice. Yes, it's definitely challenging for me to direct AND edit because I become too attached to my work. Pretty much everything I have worked on has been filmed by myself. I've learned a lot for the short time I have been on this site and am anxious to work with a team to learn from as well and gain experience.

I took Glen's advice and shortened my reel. I took the old one down which is why it wouldn't play. I posted my newest version below. I would love to hear your critique.

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Sep 26, 2009 at 5:03:51 am

Joe:
First, thanks for letting me see your work, I think it is excellent and shows your style, which is very important. You have to have your own style. Techno music is very hard to keep in sync with the cuts. I can tell you understand cutting on the beat, but for the benefit of others reading this post that might not realize that importance let me digress and explain for others that 'cutting on the beat' means starting the next cut right as the music has the next downbeat or bar. It is imperative that the music track is laid down first, and the video cut to the music. With techno at what 120 beats, that's not always easy, but you have done a good job of keeping on track. I watched it three times and each time it seemed like it got off a bit around the Statue of Liberty but you got back on track quickly. And again at the workout section it got a little soft. As far as the graphics, you nailed that and overall you have a good short to the point demo-just what a potential client or producer wants to see.
Excellent and thanks again for the privilege of watching your work.

Mims

Return to posts index

Joe Borelli
on Sep 26, 2009 at 11:40:53 pm

William,

Thanks so much for your feedback. It feels good to know I am on the right track here. Now it's time to hit the pavement with this thing and start knocking on doors. Thanks again William and Glen.

-Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]