FORUMS: list search recent posts

Director/Editor demo reel, looking for critique

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taketoshi Kumada
Director/Editor demo reel, looking for critique
on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:28:30 am

I'm college student filmmaker.

I've been directing and editing some shorts and music videos, and this is my first demo reel. It'd be so great to have suggestion, critique, and encouragement.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
William Mims
Re: Director/Editor demo reel, looking for critique
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:41:50 pm

Taketoshi:
The music is very professional and shows class and taste. You have an excellent style so there is no doubt you will be successful as a professional filmmaker. Others may choose to critique and knit pick your work but all of that is a matter of personal taste. My biggest irritation is the really bad influence MTV has had on younger editors. So my advice would be to never look at MTV and spend as much time as possible studying the great films of the forties and fifties with the sound off. You will learn more about lighting, camera blocking, cutting (editing) and style than you may get in film school. For scene transitions Danny DeVito's directing of "Hoffa" is a must. Directing and editing should be invisible. If the audience notices either, you are calling attention to you and not the story. Filmmaking is about telling a story to your audience. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your first motion picture at my local cinema!

Mims

Return to posts index

Taketoshi Kumada
Re: Director/Editor demo reel, looking for critique
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:27:10 pm

William Mims

Thank you for your great comment! I didn't think I would get good comments (of course critique is also good comment) since this is my first demo. I'm really glad you liked it.

I should've mentioned in the first post, but the music is "Sight" by Salyu, Japanese musician. If using pro's music in demo reel isn't appropriate, I'll ask my local musician friend to compose for me. A lot of things to learn.

I'm the age of TV, so I think I've got influenced by MTV style. In my editing class, my professor also concerns about future filmmakers due to MTV . Great advice on watching classics on 30's and 40's. My favorite is "The Crowd" (1928) I'll watch more of them to learn the filmmaking from the bottom.

Thank you again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]