FORUMS: list search recent posts

2009 Vfx demo reel, looking for critique.

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic Cross
2009 Vfx demo reel, looking for critique.
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:10:04 am

Hi all,

just uploaded my reel, would love critique. I really wanna know what goes in the mind of those HR's when hiring.

Return to posts index

William Mims
Re: 2009 Vfx demo reel, looking for critique.
on Sep 14, 2009 at 12:40:03 pm

Nic: You have done excellent work, no question, but I had trouble reading the split second graphics at the same time I was trying to see how you had changed the frame. If I look to read the graphic I can not focus on the part of the frame where you had changed it. I played the demo a couple of times to learn most of the changes. For example, the sign on the window in the last scene. Consider putting the graphics next to the part of the frame that has been altered or an arrow pointing to the change. Also I would like to see the explanation sections in slow motion. Realistically you have to decide what you want to do with your career. Do you want to stay in a dark room making these kinds of fixes for others or do you want to direct and create your own work? If the latter, then remember that people in charge of hiring (like myself) want to know you can tell a story in a clear, easy to understand way, so when they look at your demo are they going to say: That was easy to understand or will they say it's nice work but my client (or audience) shouldn't have to work so hard to "get it". If a person in a hiring position is embarrassed because they didn't get your 'fix', trust me, you will not get hired by them. No one likes to look bad, so make it clear, easy to understand, and enjoyable to watch. You've seen it countless times and know where everything is, they see it once and more than likely while on the phone or talking to you or someone else. You show the fix before showing the problem, consider pointing out the problem (like a red circle around the sign) and then showing the fix. Just a thought. Hope this was constructive because your work is very good and I wish you much success.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved