FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel and Copyright

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Hohl
Demo Reel and Copyright
on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:00:44 pm

Hello everyone, I am looking for opinions on the following question:

I have a client (actress) that I am creating a demo reel for. There are several clips from known TV shows and other copy written material. The problem I see for this project is that she wants to post it on the net as well as have a DVD for sending off to casting directors etc..

In your opinion, what would be the proper and "legal" way to do this?

I am thinking, two different reels:
One for the net and one for her DVD. The one for the net would not have any of the third party materials on it, hence, not having an issue with copyrights. Or, could this include such clips provided I give credit at the end to the various entities?

Or as the alternative, the DVD version would have some of the actual TV show footage that she appears in. But since that is not available for public viewing and only for casting directors, would that be okay?

Opinions anyone? Copyright is a big concern for me as I am very protective of my copyrights and hence, do not want to infringe on anyone else s either.

Return to posts index

George Missor
Re: Demo Reel and Copyright
on Aug 10, 2009 at 4:51:22 am

I am not a lawyer so take this for what its worth.

I think as long as the web video is password protected so only an authorized industry professional sees it for the purpose of a demo reel, not the general public, and you take steps to assure it cannot be downloaded, then it is the same as sending a DVD demo reel.

I do not know if creative cow offers password protection, but Vimeo does.

Just my guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved