FORUMS: list search recent posts

Appreciate Critique of First Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Michael
Appreciate Critique of First Reel
on Jul 18, 2009 at 8:09:06 pm

Well, I think I've just about polished this thing up as far as I can solo. I'm looking for any feedback anyone here might have for me. I'm about to start a serious job search so I would appreciate any comments you might have. This spans what I have worked on from 2006 to now, basically college stuff and some post-collegiate experiments.

David Michael's Demo Reel 2009 from David Michael on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Stephen Eilers
Re: Appreciate Critique of First Reel
on Jul 18, 2009 at 10:47:15 pm

I suggest making everything shorter... your name at the beginning, some of the clips, and cut out some of the repeated clips. There were also some clips that looked too dark. Maybe get rid of those or lighten them up (only if they are your best work).

Also, maybe say at the beginning what you do (e.g. directing, editing, DP, etc.). I didn't really like the experimental looking clips, but maybe with a title card or lower third say they are experimental would help make sure the viewer looks at them in the correct context.

At the very end, include your name again and some contact info (e.g. email address, phone, etc.).

I hope that helps.

Stephen Eilers
Director - Editor - Visual Effects Artist
Please comment on my reel at http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/173/857764

Return to posts index

David Michael
on Jul 19, 2009 at 8:43:57 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback. So far I've taken serious note of the darkness and have decided to give that footage some color correction, I've upped the contrast and now it has a nice flickering grain that adds to the mood, which I wouldn't have thought to try otherwise. I then thought to color correct some other blase shots as well. I'm considering shortening things and taking out repetitive shots, but I haven't gotten there yet mentally (expect for the titles in the beginning, I've shortened them for the better). I'm also working on placing non-intrusive titles at the bottom to give the viewer a context, since some footage is documentary, some is experimental, etc., meaning some might be sub-par for a feature, but it's as good as was possible for the document. Anyhow, I appreciate your input quite a bit.

Return to posts index

Lloyd Claycomb
on Aug 5, 2009 at 5:28:33 pm

Some constructive criticism. I didn't really like the neon intro. But that's totally subjective. Someone else might love it. But I DO think it needed some sound FX or some background music. If it was much shorter it probably wouldn't be such a big deal, but because it's so long, I was turning up the volume on my speakers and seeing if I had accidentally muted my system.

I think most all the shots need color correction.

I liked the cowboy boot footsteps.

As mentioned above, the feel is too dark, especially the shooting range.

Return to posts index

David Michael
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:48:06 pm

I appreciate your feedback and I agree with you. I've been having a hard time putting together a soundscape that will go nicely with the sort of abrupt musical beginning, but I will certainly work on this. I also did shorten the length of the intro, but it still could probably use something sound-wise. I've also been working on color correcting some of the footage that, for whatever reason I didn't correct before, but that I realized looks cheap. Part of the problem may be that I need to edit under a different gamma? If you could give me your opinion on that I'd appreciate it, I've working of a Mac with Mac gamma (I assume) so if it looks dark perhaps it's because I'm working outside the standard? Let me know if you have any insight into this. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]