FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about rights

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Frank
question about rights
on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:47:04 pm

Is it legal for me to host and put my previous work I've signed rights over to in a demo reel of mine? Or showcase it on my site? If not should I be adding a part in my contract that states I'm allowed to do that with my clients? I don't think they'd do anything anyway if I did showcase it, inless we had a really bad relationship lol

Also if I'm making a reel strictly to showcase editing, is it bad to showcase the Effects/Footage other people Created/Filmed as long as I edited it? I don't know why but for some reason I feel that the editing isn't worth as much (although you do alot) and that I should only use footage I filmed. Also I would have to note that I only edited the said footage, cause it would suck to get an interview with the guy thinking I'm capable of the Filming/Effect quality. I guess I should just state that the stuff in the reel I did is composition and editing and it should be fine.

Return to posts index

Isa Jacobson
Re: question about rights
on Jul 19, 2009 at 10:32:09 pm

As a commercials editor it was never a issue to make up a showreel like you have - veryone understood that there were these short pieces made up of different people's talents. At the beginning you just put a title that says "Editor" and they know how you contributed. People know that filmmaking is collaborative. Maybe now that we're meant to be be able to do it all there's some sort of pressure that was never there before. I think I'm better at editing than shooting and we're all meant to be better at some things more than others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]