FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post Production Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Huston
Post Production Demo Reel
on Jun 17, 2009 at 2:02:00 pm

Newfangled demo reel, updated and slightly more flashy than my previous one. What do you think?

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
Re: Post Production Demo Reel
on Jun 17, 2009 at 3:12:39 pm

Good day Kim,

First impression, please change the music. It does nothing for the piece other than be quite annoying. To me music either is a background element that weaves in and out or it drives the reel in terms of pacing and timing. The music here does neither. Each section that you go through seems to linger too long. For example the color grading, some of the shots (at least on the web) have very subtle changes, I'd drop those scenes all together. Same with the scenes that come later where you are trying to show your story telling they are very random and getting back to the music, if you had music that fit this section these scenes may be a little bit more compelling.

Over all it is okay a little long too. Keep trying!

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:29:44 pm

What makes the song not flow with it? What type of song would?

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:50:56 pm

Kim,

What emotions are you trying to get me/the audience to feel? You have a lot of drama and action in your scenes and yet your song doesn't match the the feel. As much as people lump editing into the design graphic world and the two do cross over a lot, to me editing is about a feeling, an emotion that I want my audience to react to. This is also done with graphical elements too, so I don't want to disrespect all the wonderful designers out there.

You ask an interesting question and I will be honest with you, I feel that this music would be better suited if you were doing a picture montage and not a demo reel. Next, I would make your demo shorter. Some of the things you show linger to long, as I said before. Lastly, I would pick a piece of music that has some changes to it, so that when you get to a different section such as Color Grading, the tempo changes. I know not all music is going to fit this bill, but I would go for something that doesn't have lyrics to it.

As a side question, is this a copy written song? That is something to watch out for.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Stephen Eilers
on Jun 23, 2009 at 10:18:32 pm

In general I liked it. I can see pros and cons for your music choice. It didn't annoy me, but I see the point in the other comments.

At about 1:20, I'm not sure what skill you are highlighting. I'd consider cutting that out. Sure, the shots are well-framed and the lower-thirds are nicely done, but that sequence just didn't interest me.

I do agree that some of the segments went on a little too long. I did like the color grading segment, but perhaps include only your very top choices.

Stephen Eilers
Director - Editor - Visual Effects Artist
Please comment on my reel at http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/173/857764

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]