FORUMS: list search recent posts

Show reel comments/suggestions?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Gomersall
Show reel comments/suggestions?
on May 6, 2009 at 1:37:05 pm

I haven't updated my show reel in a while so I thought I might do it and post it here for comments from the COW. Any constructive comments are welcome.
Thanks for your time!
ChrisG

Link to the video: Find it here.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
Re: Show reel comments/suggestions?
on May 12, 2009 at 8:38:14 pm

Chris,

There are some nice motion things going on but the art direction needs work. Suggest you get some Communication Arts annuals or perhaps the One Show or N.Y. Art Director's.

Also, get a copy of Andrew Kramer's Riot Gear, it has fabulous graphics for backgrounds, seems like a lot of yours are against white, which is kinda stark.

Hope you take this the right way.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Christopher Gomersall
on May 12, 2009 at 10:38:27 pm

They are what they are. The reel is made up of client work. Clients drive a great deal of what I do and when they have very little money and time, they get very little art direction... which is mostly the case these days. Typically I get a few hours to complete assignments. That's it. (Shocking, I know!) Thanks for the constructive criticism. The only way to grow is to listen and digest and move on. Thanks!

Regards,
Chris Gomersall
http://www.upstairsmedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on May 12, 2009 at 10:58:51 pm

Well, we all have those kinds of clients, so my advice would be keep it really simple, because if you try to do something cool on no budget and no time, it tends to look bad.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Curt Thackeray
on May 13, 2009 at 8:13:06 pm

I agree.. white.. too stark. The time it would take you to include a Riot Gear (or similar) BG is the same as it would take you to create a white solid. You have some nice movement in there.. but again.. very simple and 2D. Try using a little more "Z" direction in your comps.. and I think you will have a well-rounded demo.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]