FORUMS: list search recent posts

Brian J. Smith's Editing Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian J. Smith
Brian J. Smith's Editing Reel
on Apr 16, 2009 at 7:49:18 pm

I know there are a lot of talented editors who come to this forum often. I would love to get some feedback on my latest editing demo reel. It would be much appreciated to get good critical feedback so that I can make my reel as polished as possible.

You can find it here: http://www.vimeo.com/4178369

Thank you,

Brian J. Smith
brian@scanmonkeys.com

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
Re: Brian J. Smith's Editing Reel
on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:40:37 pm

Hey Brian,

The first thing that came to mind is hodgepodge. What are you trying to show me as a viewer? For the most part there were no sort of transitions between scenes. You could have used a dip to color or a flash or even a dissolve. I found it very jarring for what you were presenting to just slam into another piece. I'd say let some of the nat sound play underneath some of your clips and you need to play off emotion. What I mean by this is you are showing a wedding (that was well shot) and you have a techno/hip hop piece underneath of it, for me the two don't work well at all. I'd also lose the lumber mill clips or retool that sequence, because there is no energy to it at all.

I wish you well and your off to a good start. Editing is an art and it comes through trial, error and learning from others around you. Don't stop posting, I'd like to see you post another reel in the future.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Brian J. Smith
Re: Brian J. Smith's Editing Reel
on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:47:54 pm

John,
I really appreciate the critical feedback. It will be very useful as I try to massage my reel. I usually edit longer form pieces where the message is more defined. A hodgepodge is a good term for what the reel ended up as.

I was under the impression that a reel was supposed to be a quick look at a spectrum of work cut to fast paced music. Upon reflection, perhaps I am mistaken. Ultimately, if my reel is not effective, then it doesn't really matter what I thought was correct.

In your opinion, besides the transitions between subjects, do the cuts seem to be well timed?

Thank you,
Brian J. Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]