FORUMS: list search recent posts

Website for Demo Reel -- Questions

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Johnson
Website for Demo Reel -- Questions
on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:41:25 am

It seems that websites have become the most popular way to deliver ones demo reel to potential employers. I am starting to put together one for myself. I have my demo reel and various trailers and commercials as uncompressed quicktimes. I don't know a lot about web design and compression. What are the best codecs to use for an HD Quicktime of my reel? I want it to load quickly but keep the quality as good as possible. What companies provide the best website hosting services for these kinds of sites?

Matthew Johnson
Editor / Visual Effects Artist

Return to posts index

George Loch
Re: Website for Demo Reel -- Questions
on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:53:18 am

Right now, h.264 is going to be your best option for codecs. I don't recommend having HD resolution on the web as the cost/performance ratio is not good. The other advantage of h.264 is that it can be played through the new Flash player as well as QT. This is really important for compatibility.

One option is to use a service like Vimeo or *gasp* youtube. They now offer "high-quality" versions of your presentation and they will get the data transfer hit instead your host. Then you could use something like blogspot to create your website and embed the video from Vimeo on the blog.

-gl

Freelance Designer
http://www.georgeloch.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]