FORUMS: list search recent posts

What exactly should I be putting in my Demo Reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Frank
What exactly should I be putting in my Demo Reel?
on Mar 16, 2009 at 6:03:33 am

Hey,

I'm wanting to make a demo reel of some of the stuff I've done so far with video editing, but I'm not sure what I should exactly be putting in it. What do employers look for in demo reels? How well the cuts are made, or what? I'm not too sure because most demo reels I've seen include some type of song throughout it with various clips of their work with normal cuts. Should I keep it simple like that? Or should I try to splice it up by adding some effects in it? Do the employers judge on the quality of the footage in your demo reel, or how well the demo reel is synced? Or is it just showing all the other things you've handled in editing, and they judge on that? I thought it would be hard to judge without hearing the original audio and seeing the hole segment of the clip.

Return to posts index

andrew donaldson
Re: What exactly should I be putting in my Demo Reel?
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:37:30 pm

Hi,

Well, im not the most experienced here, but my opinion is that the more boxes you tick the better.
Since you say its a reel to demonstrate your editing skills, i think making the video subject match the audio(sync) is pretty paramount.

Personally, I feel a demoreel is like a CV. it should show off your experience, your style, skills, history, maybe even hobbies, etc!

I'd put in a small sample of the work you have done over as many subjects as you have done. Saying that, keep it short and simple.

I have just made my first showreel (just posted here), so if it gets shot down, you can take my comments lightly.

Donny-

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 26, 2009 at 8:09:02 pm

This article should be of help. http://www.videomaker.com/article/12975/

[John] I thought it would be hard to judge without hearing the original audio and seeing the hole segment of the clip

Sorry, when you have a stack of 50 demo DVD's and no time to watch them you're lucky to get 3 minutes of the viewers attention. Keep it short and sweet. They can always ask to see the whole segment if they want to see it. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:46:17 pm

Good day John,

Clients want to glitz and glam, but also some substance as well. The glitz and glam should be stuff that you have done. Many times I have been in an interview and been asked "how much of the effects (ie, After Effects) did you do?" Just to give you an idea what might be asked.

A question you have to ask yourself before is what type of client is this? Are they a commercial client, if so they would like to see what kind of spots you have done. I they are a longer format house, than they probably want to see more longer pieces.

I tend to have a slick 45 second to a minute piece that is compelling and highlites a lot of the slick pieces that I have done and then add some variation of my work after that. I usually have another 3 to 5 minutes of work, so that clients can get a sense of what I can do.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]