FORUMS: list search recent posts

What do I submit for a demo reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
What do I submit for a demo reel?
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:22:41 am

I own a small video production company in a small town in the Midwest. I recently saw an ad for the local tv station looking for a job for a commercial producer. I have made several video for companies for their websites and for them to use in trade shows.

My questions are the following. They are asking for a demo dvd. What format do I use? Do I send a dvd with chapters with each individual commercials? Do I combine them all into one? What format should I use..MPEG, AVI?

I have never done this before and I really feel out of my element. I know this is a long shot. My biggest hope is no one else applies!

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steven Jenkins
Re: What do I submit for a demo reel?
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:11:56 am

Conventional wisdom says to find the best of what you have, and don't be afraid to trim, and edit down to one minute, give or take a little, of footage. You can put the footage to an audio track of your choice, and if you find audio that really suits your reel, it will greatly enhance the experience. I've heard some say that demo reels are often watched with the volume off. So it's up to you on that. The demo reel I made years ago for the TV station I applied for and ended up doing work for watched my reel with no sound. Be sure not to forget to include your contact info. As far as the format it sounds like they want a dvd that is playable on a standard consumer dvd player. Maybe give them several selections from the menu such as play montage, play all, and the ability to choose individual videos by chapter.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: What do I submit for a demo reel?
on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:01:36 pm

Steven has given you some great advice. You may also like this article: http://www.videomaker.com/article/12975/

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]