FORUMS: list search recent posts

editor's reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
editor's reel
on Dec 5, 2008 at 9:34:21 pm

I'm relatively new at this. I've only been an assistant editor for about a year so i have little work done. But i still want to put together a reel. Can someone give me advice on putting one together. I have 3 or 4 pieces of work done and would like to start freelancing.

Return to posts index

Wes Waddell
Re: editor's reel
on Dec 15, 2008 at 8:38:37 pm

The first step to putting together a demo reel is figuring out what kind of editor you are. Editing reels are hard from the stand point your trying to "sell" the way you edit, so its imperative you understand how you edit. I have to "feel" the footage and find the "tempo" so im more of an emotional editor. Some guys are methodical in their editing it just depends on you.

After you understand how you edit, look at the pieces you want to incorporate into your reel. Get a good feel for them and figure out what they all have in common. From there you'll take your ques from the pieces. By now im sure you'll have a couple of ideas as to where youd like to take your reel. Dont be afraid to go out and shoot for your reel. Treat it like any other project. Brainstorm, outline, blah blah pre-production. Above all dont be afraid to try new things. Try and inject your reel with yourself. This reel will represent your work and you so take your time and do your best.

Another thing to keep in mind is whom your going to show your reel to, and cater to that demographic. There are some things that work great for corporate stuff and others not so much. If corporate isnt the way you wanna go do some research as to where youd like to be and tailor your reel to that market.

The better you understand yourself, the better (and smoother) your reel will come together and the more successful you'll be in landing the job you want.

Wes Waddell
Director of Video Development

Return to posts index

bruno silva
Re: editor's reel
on Jan 13, 2009 at 1:20:02 am

Hey Thanks alot, that was very helpful

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]