FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts On My Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nate nickels
Thoughts On My Demo Reel
on Dec 3, 2008 at 2:23:19 pm

I just found this site and thought i would start out by posting some links to my demo reel and still photography sites. I
have worked on a lot of projects over the years and unfortunately I get scammed a lot, Also I do projects for at least a copy of the final film which I hardly ever get so for that my demo reel is lacking I think in what things I have worked on but you might get an idea. Any thoughts comments let me know, I am moving to LA at the end of this month, I am so excited !

Nate Nickels

natenickels@yahoo.com

http://imaphotoguy.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://flickr.com/photos/nnickels/

Return to posts index

Brian Thomson
Re: Thoughts On My Demo Reel
on Dec 3, 2008 at 10:45:29 pm

Hey Nate,

You had some good stuff here, but some not so good stuff as well. Your DP work is much stronger and more compelling than your news and local work. The commercials, sports clips, and news stuff screams of small market and I think could possibly keep you from getting work, especially in a large market like LA. One idea would be to make separate reels for the different job titles. Keep one for the news stations, and one for the DP work.

You also want your reel to start as BIG as it can. How you achieve this is up to you. I would definitely shorten the audio clips you use at the front and speed up the edits. Remember you are telling your story of why you should get the job, and your potential client/boss does not need to follow the plot of the film you are pulling from. There should still be a beginning middle and end though. A consistent soundtrack can help you reach that goal. Try picking a song that you like that has an emotional arc that lends itself well to your footage.

Finally; Never make excuses for your demo reel. Be proud of what you have done. If you get scammed a lot, don't tell me. It is going to make me wonder why. If people don't give you final copies, again, don't tell me. It'll just make me wonder. You want people approaching your reel with an open mind and a clean slate.

All of that said, I thought there was some cool work on your reel, especially the chase and fight scenes at the end (hint: move them to the front). Welcome to the Cow, and good luck in LA!

Return to posts index

nate nickels
Re: Thoughts On My Demo Reel
on Dec 5, 2008 at 6:19:25 pm

You had some good stuff here, but some not so good stuff as well. Your DP work is much stronger and more compelling than your news and local work. The commercials, sports clips, and news stuff screams of small market and I think could possibly keep you from getting work, especially in a large market like LA. One idea would be to make separate reels for the different job titles. Keep one for the news stations, and one for the DP work.

- Ok thanks, That does make sense, my idea was that to show that i worked for a tv station, the quality is pretty bad however. How is the length too ? Shorter ? '>- Ok thanks, That does make sense, my idea was that to show that i worked for a tv station, the quality is pretty bad however. How is the length too ? Shorter ?

You also want your reel to start as BIG as it can. How you achieve this is up to you. I would definitely shorten the audio clips you use at the front and speed up the edits. Remember you are telling your story of why you should get the job, and your potential client/boss does not need to follow the plot of the film you are pulling from. There should still be a beginning middle and end though. A consistent soundtrack can help you reach that goal. Try picking a song that you like that has an emotional arc that lends itself well to your footage.

- One thing i did was try to show the camera moving, because not only does the DP set the lights and the camera but also works with the movement and timing of the actors according to the camera movement. I will look at it and see what i can shorten up. Also i saw some before that took the dialogue out of the scenes, do you recommend this or is it better to have some dialogue ?

Finally; Never make excuses for your demo reel. Be proud of what you have done. If you get scammed a lot, don't tell me. It is going to make me wonder why. If people don't give you final copies, again, don't tell me. It'll just make me wonder. You want people approaching your reel with an open mind and a clean slate. -

ok my thought was that if i don't tell people then they will think this is the best stuff I have, Also it shows that i have been in the industry for awhile and know the ups and downs. I see where your coming from though.

All of that said, I thought there was some cool work on your reel, especially the chase and fight scenes at the end (hint: move them to the front). Welcome to the Cow, and good luck in LA!

- Thanks, I thought that was weaker compared to the others i will mess around with it. Also i need to add some still photos as well , i think maybe take out the tv stuff and do a still slide show for a few seconds of commercial style shots. You can take a look at my still galleries at these sites. Thanks again for the comments !!!!! It really helps!

http://flickr.com/photos/nnickels/
http://imaphotoguy.deviantart.com/gallery/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]