FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel Dilemma

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Chambers
Demo Reel Dilemma
on Sep 12, 2008 at 5:06:10 pm

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to put together another demo reel (only my 3rd so far) and once again, it's driving me crazy. I've spent the last two years or so doing video production work as a "one-man band" so to speak, doing the camera work, lighting, editing, sound mixing, etc. on projects myself. Now I'm trying to put together a decent demo reel to send to potential employers for whom I would most likely only be performing one of these roles. I'm really stumped as to how to go about this. My main focus has always been on editing, so I definitely want to put together one reel that focuses solely on that. But I also want to try to showcase my other skills as well (especially camera & lighting/DP type work), but I don't think I have enough impressive footage to do a separate camera operator or DP reel.

My thoughts right now are to create an editing reel featuring my best editing work (including some clips from my "one-man band" stuff, some from other productions where I was just an editor) and a general "production reel", which would feature samples of only the stuff which I did everything on (which includes mainly commercials and a historical documentary produced for a local community organization). Both of these reels would be on the same DVD so that they are easily selectable, and they'd be available online as well. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go though. I want to make it clear to potential employers that I was responsible for everything on the production reel and I can't think of a time-efficient way to do that in the reel itself. Plus I'm not sure if this is something that is even considered "appropriate" to do or not. I know it's fine to show such a reel to potential CLIENTS who are interested in hiring me to do similar work as a lone producer, but I don't know if this is something that potential employers would take seriously.

I'm sure those of you who have been in this business longer than I have have some thoughts on the matter, so if you'd take some time to share them with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doug Chambers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]