FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Moore
New Demo Reel
on Jul 31, 2008 at 2:49:58 pm

Hey all. I just updated my reel. I would love to know what you think. It's a mix of motion graphics, compositing, shooting, editing, film, TV, and corporate video.

http://www.lot25dmp.com/reel/index.html

Thanks!

Bill

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: New Demo Reel
on Aug 7, 2008 at 4:02:19 pm

Bill,

First, great stuff, I think I remember seeing some of that reel a while back.

The first thing I would do is lose the "amateurish" footage, as it takes away from the polished content; that would bring the reel to a perfect lenght (you don't need the whole song either).

One minor thing on the intro. I would personally add a little motion to the zoom on the opening to give a more realistic feel. Maybe speed it up a bit as well. You know, that's all the rage these days.

Other than that, there's some very nice stuff in there.

Vince

Return to posts index

Bill Moore
on Aug 11, 2008 at 6:13:12 pm

Hey, thanks for the input. I'd be interested to know which pieces come off as amateurish, they all look the same to me. I'm too close to it to be able to tell.

Thanks!

Bill Moore
bill@lot25dmp.com
http://www.lot25dmp.com

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:52:11 am

Bill,

I should, amateurish wasn't the right choice of word, but it just jumps out next to the other footage.

The first black and white segment.
The fish tank
The ketchup bit
The closing shots "firing the gun"

It's not that they are "bad", but it doesn't feel like they belong in this reel.

And again, I would speed up the opening shot.

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Aug 20, 2008 at 7:04:25 am

I agree with Vince on these points, and I would add that overall there isn't really any theme in your reel. Not just in the sense that there is nothing visual tying it all together and making it more of a "package," but also in the sense that there is such a wide range of stuff that it's hard to get a sense of what your skills are.

If I were a client looking to hire you to produce a corporate video for example, I wouldn't know if there was anything here that shows you do that type of work, and that same example applies to any discipline that someone might hire you for. I guess what I'm saying is it MAY be beneficial to experiment with a new version of your reel that just focuses on the type of work you are typically hired to do. If that's corporate video, only show your corporate video work EVEN IF it's only 30 seconds long. That would be far preferable to a more scattered approach. Most people only want to see the work that represents what they need, and care little about the rest.

Overall there's some good work in there!

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Eric Lagerlof
on Sep 7, 2008 at 12:33:22 am

I agree on the lack of theme. If this is for corporate work, than stick to your more corporate shots/projects. I don't think most of the people that will actually pay for your services will have much interest in, or time to watch, yu personal, experimental work.

It's a bit long for my tastes as well. I don't think you should enslave yourself to the duration of a song, or x amount of its verses. A cohesive view of your work is important, the song isn't. And finally, I don't think "compostiting" is a real word.

Now that I've beat you up a bit, there is some really nice work in this demo, and the tracking work on the opening folder and the record albums is very tastefully done. I also agree that a zoom into the opening folder and a closer look at the video insert would add not only the oomph of motion but show off your tracking/compositing skills better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]