FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to start ?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Payne
Where to start ?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 9:20:04 am

Hi there,

I've recently completed a two year course in Media (Moving Image) which has emphasis on both pre and post television production. During those two years I have thoroughly enjoyed video editing so have decided to pursue a career in it. The majority of editing has been on the back of assignments so one of the problems I'm having is that I don't have a huge amount of work to display within my reel.

Current work includes:

8Min Documentary
Music Video
30Sec Advert
5Min Single Camera Drama
2Min Kick Boxing Talent Video

Other programs learnt while on the course include Photoshop CS3, Maya 7 (Basic Knowledge), Adobe Prem Pro CS3, Cool Edit, Adobe Audition and Adobe After Effects.

I will be creating a show reel and job hunting in 2 months or so and would like to know what attributes an employer and editing house are looking for in regards to myself and my show reel.

I want to be prepared and as professional as I can be so any advice really helpful.

Stephen
East Sussex / London (United Kingdom)

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: Where to start ?
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:10:21 am

Hi Stephen

It's good that you know After Effects, Maya etc. but if your main focus is editing, make sure you put a MAJOR emphasis on that in any communications with prospective employers. As a hiring manager, I can't tell you how many people submit resumes telling me that they can do every creative task under the sun. The problem is, most people looking for an editor want a really good editor, not an editor who can design a web site, do 3d etc. If it looks like you've spread yourself thin and are learning all these different things, people will assume you might not be as strong of an editor as the next guy who lists just editing as his sole focus, interest and joy in life.

If you are applying for editing jobs, it won't hurt you to mention that you also know After Effects and Maya since they are roughly related (some studios do let their editors create graphics so that could be a benefit) but I would mention that as a side note, not a prominent part of your offering.

In general you may be wise to pursue an initial job as an assistant editor. It's not as glamorous, but many, many grads have sat on the sidelines waiting for that perfect editing job to come up, while the wiser grads get less prominent jobs but are learning, earning and working their way up the food chain very quickly. If you make clear in your job search that you have some experience and are looking to work your way up, willing to take an assistant role etc. I think you will do just fine for yourself.

Good Luck!

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Payne
Re: Where to start ?
on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:17:15 am

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the good advice, My primary aim is to find an assistant editors job because of the learning curve to the top which I don't mind and actually want.

Although my experience with AFX & Maya are small and not my main passion I still want to incorporate AFX into my show reel by creating a menu or a way of navigating to various project, I'll take on board your advice about putting major emphasis on the editing side of things though.

Anyway thanks for the brilliant advice !!!

Regards

Stephen Payne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]