FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for comments

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dewan edwards
looking for comments
on Jul 11, 2008 at 7:25:34 am

This is my first attempt at a demo reel. I am looking to move from a strong hobbiest to a full time editor. I know I have somethings to learn and that is fine. This is why I am posting this here as I know alot of you are in this field already and can point me in the right direction. I am getting ready to start school, so I am on my way in that area. Just wanted to see what advice the pros can give to this rookie. I do not own AE yet, that is one of the classes I'll be taking. This is all done inside my NLE. I plan on getting my hands on AE in a month or so. thank you in advance

dew

Demo reel from dewan edwards on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: looking for comments
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:19:12 am

For what you are calling "rookie" work I would say you have a great reel going for yourself. Once you get through school, you're going to do very well.

The only comment I have is that you said you want to become a full time editor, but then go on to talking about After Effects and your reel is clearly very motion graphics heavy. Just to clarify this, a majority of studios only hire editors to cut the material, and hire separate motion graphics artists to do all the animating, titles etc. I personally will not allow my editors to touch After Effects on our projects. The reason is simply that I hire editors based on their cutting skills, animators based on their motion graphics skills, and I try to hire people who are very focused on one or the other. It is a very rare editor who can do both to a very high quality level.

That said, you have some strong motion graphics skills, and I would pursue those much more fully. If editing video is your true passion then go for it but there are a million editors out there competing, and not a lot of truly talented After Effects artists.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 6, 2008 at 1:35:04 pm

Really enjoyed your reel, great job for your first time. Good pacing and really showed a great variety of creative treatments.

Couple of things I think you can improve upon though. The video boxes at :29, the color of the shots seems flat. 99% of your viewing audience wouldn't notice but you should expect that prospective employers would. For those shots you could increase the contrast some---or if you really wanted to take the extra step, a soft matte around the speakers and darkening the bkg might really give it a more polished look.

Second, the intro to the Iraq thing is nearly 10 seconds, IMO, that should be sped up or cut down. Also in that section the first 3 pictures you show are completely static---not really showing anything---the third one with the animation and color effect much more interesting as are the picture treatments in the sports section.

Just my .02 cents, for the most part though, very enjoyable to watch.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 6, 2008 at 1:57:34 pm

Really enjoyed your reel, great job for your first time. Good pacing and really showed a great variety of creative treatments.

Couple of things I think you can improve upon though. The video boxes at :29, the color of the shots seems flat. 99% of your viewing audience wouldn't notice but you should expect that prospective employers would. For those shots you could increase the contrast some---or if you really wanted to take the extra step, a soft matte around the speakers and darkening the bkg might really give it a more polished look.

Second, the intro to the Iraq thing is nearly 10 seconds, IMO, that should be sped up or cut down. Also in that section the first 3 pictures you show are completely static---not really showing anything---the third one with the animation and color effect much more interesting as are the picture treatments in the sports section.

Just my .02 cents, for the most part though, very enjoyable to watch.

Return to posts index

dewan edwards
on Aug 13, 2008 at 1:56:28 am

Thanks Bradon and John I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice

I didn't have alot of footage to work with thats why I added alot of motion work. I also saw alot of reels that had MG in it I thought I needed to add some. More my lack of understanding thanks for clearing that up.

I am still trying to get an eye to catch things like color and picking out clips that bring a expressing or statement. Thanks for that tip.

Overall, a thank you to creative cow and everyone on board, I am learning so much and really appreciate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]