FORUMS: list search recent posts

web site/Demo

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
web site/Demo
on Jul 3, 2008 at 2:24:10 am

Hi All:
I recently launched my company website. After 20 years of working for the man, I started my own thang! Please take a look and let me know what you think.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: web site/Demo
on Jul 6, 2008 at 9:36:21 pm

Roy,

Congrats from getting away from the man but it would be easier for people to check out your site if you posted a URL :-)

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
Re: web site/Demo with the address
on Jul 6, 2008 at 11:45:36 pm

The web site address is
vintageproductiongroup.com

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jul 16, 2008 at 7:44:32 pm

I really liked some of the pieces you hve up there. Not so sure on the design of the site however.

-gl

Prologue Media
http://www.prologuemedia.com

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 17, 2008 at 10:03:32 am

Congrats on starting on your own, that's very exciting! I tend to dig into details on these types of things, so don't take my feedback as ripping you apart.

Initial thought - the name "Vintage" pretty much means "old." In this modern era people are pretty forward looking, especially when it comes to media. Many business names mean nothing, or are silly etc. but you probably don't want people to think of cobwebs when they think of your service. I doubt you are wanting to change something this fundamental at this point, just figured I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

As for the site:

- The Home button on your menu links to a dead page, not the home page, seemingly site-wide

- The video on the home page has no controls and stops if I click it. There is no way to get it to continue playing without reloading the page. Most people won't spend a second trying to get your site to work the way they have come to expect sites to function

- yellow and blue don't go together very well, especially laid on top of one another

- Your About Us page mentions that you've won Emmies 3 times. Once is probably enough, more than that and it seems heavy handed.

- The links on your navigation bar aren't entirely clear in terms of what I need to click to get the content I am looking for. For example, Home has one reel, About Us has an editing demo reel, TV Commercials has a commercial reel etc. You should probably have a link that is plainly labeled "Demo Reel" that shows all of your reels on one page. If you prefer to keep them separated out like you currently do, you may want to at least label the links something more instantly recognizable. "Memory Bank" means nothing to new visitors and they may assume that's a page where you show your really old work or something along those lines, missing a big portion of your offering in the process.

Finally, the best way to squeeze value out of your site is to have unsolicited visitors coming to it as often as possible. You don't want every visit to have to be earned by direct contact etc.or it's going to be slow going. Around 75% of my studio's business came from leads from our web site, via search engines, in our first two years of business. We get around 1,000 visits a month, so it's worth pursuing.
That said, your site is not going to index very well in Google. The first reason is that every page has the same title "Vintage Production Group" and Google does look at page titles to determine if they are relevant to the user's search. Unless someone specifically searches for your business name (in which case you'd probably come up first or second anyway) that page title is not going to help you since most prospects will be searching with words like "video production" or similar. A better method would be for your commercial page to have the title "Television Commercials and Multimedia" and so on for each page of your site.
The second reason you will have problems showing up in Google is that none of your pages have meta tags, which give vital information to the search engines, including a description of the content of that page (which shows up below every google search). Both of these things are issues to take up with your web developer, unless you specifically asked for that page title and for them to omit meta tags I say shame on them for not including this rudimentary aspect of web design.

Again, sorry if this is overkill, hopefully you find some of this feedback useful!

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Jul 18, 2008 at 3:36:20 am

Thanks for the feedback Brendan. It is very helpful. I am good at the video thing, I am just learning the web thing. I better get it down real soon. Thanks again!
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Dustin Brown
on Aug 6, 2008 at 4:09:49 am

Here's my philosophy when it comes to websites: Leave them to web guys.

Seriously though, I can muck around in Dreamweaver as well as the next guy, and I know enough HTML to be a danger to myself, but that's about it. Anything I make for the web is going to be hacked together as I learn from "how to" snippets I find online, and the final result is going to be a reflection of that. I came to the conclusion long ago that my HTML handiwork was not the first thing I wanted potential employers or clients to see when they look me up. When I pay someone to do it right, I look at it as an investment.

-Dustin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]