I just finished a video for the Radiohead song "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi" which I created for my first year college project (Interactive and Motion Graphics), and as an entry into the Aniboom contest.
I only started using After Effects in September last year, so this is really a milestone for me in the learning process. When I started the video 8 or 9 weeks ago I had no idea really what I was doing, but I read lots of tutorials (trapcode, video copilot, maltannon, etc.), asked for help here (thanks!) and managed to improve a fair bit. Still such a long way to go... ;-)
I hope it's OK to post this here for a bit of feedback - it's not a reel as I don't have enough material for a reel just yet, but I do value any constructive crit.
Some weird Monty Python esque - sperm things going on.
I would look into curves to make some of the movements a little bit more organic ease in ease out etc. This would be simple adjustments that wouldn't take too much work. I'm referring to the plant life for instance.
If you wanted to increase employability with something like this, look into adding more layers to create a greater sense of depth in the shot, like have the occasional fish fly past in front of camera (could also act as a great way to do a wipe). Normally people look for integration of real footage but i don't think that will apply here.
Thank you for taking the time to watch, you made some great suggestions that I'll definitely follow up on. As usual, the main factor is lack of time, but there's nothing stopping me from revisiting this over the coming weeks and making little additions and refinements here and there.