FORUMS: list search recent posts

title sequence

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eyad Abutaha
title sequence
on Jun 24, 2008 at 3:04:00 pm

Here is a “30 Sec” title sequence; based on tips from this forum tutorial page also Andrew Kramer “3D Room” “Smoke Screen” tutorials.

your opinions are always welcomed.
http://www.eyadstudio.com/Media/prison_cel/prison_cel.html

Thanks
Eyad

Return to posts index

Jeff Kelley
Re: title sequence
on Jun 27, 2008 at 5:15:48 pm

Very cool. Almost makes me wish it were a real film!

Jeff
http://www.willinois.com

Return to posts index

arnoud delporte
on Jul 2, 2008 at 10:45:08 pm

Looks great! Honestly, I can't make this.
If I could, however, I would make the camera move a bit more diversely. I'm seeing the same motion a few too many times. In the first part, all text comes in left to right, which feels 'out of balance'. If the last bit of text would come in right to left, it would be surprising and at the same time balancing.
Also the zooms in the second part should be more diverse IMO. Now it feels as if they all have the same speed and focal distance. Surprise me with a really fast, really long zoom on an important title (I would suggest Halle Berry...)
All that said, I think you did a nice job. But I doubt you posted it to read five variations on 'cool stuff man, keep it up!'
As for the smoke effects, neat work, hat off.

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 5, 2008 at 12:27:02 am

for sure i did not posted it to hear nice words; any ways thanks 4 your input; future projects will be more diverse IMO

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 6, 2008 at 9:53:07 pm

Really cool

+1 on the diversity of moves and I would through in the names come and go too quickly for me, but I'm a slow reader.

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 7, 2008 at 12:43:37 am

+2/-2 what i used; you don't want to see the first draft it was +6/-6; nobody liked it; it was kinda cool, i liked it.
making it slow i tired; but it was kinda boring and don't go with the music.
any ways thanks
Eyad

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:00:36 pm

To add to what has been said, I liked the general type approach although it felt a little like the bourne titles.

The 3D environment was cool until I realized it wasn't going anywhere. I am wondering if you couldn't take that motion (kinda jumpy and spastic) and move the camera through a sequence of 'cells' so you fee like a person who is running through a series of cells in a panicky sort of way. It would give some more meaning to the sequence and strengthen the movie following - that's the idea of the title sequence right? :)

-gl

Prologue Media
http://www.prologuemedia.com

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:29:50 am

Hi George
Yes; it would been more realistic if other cells were added; to give it the feeling of going throw cells; but this is a short imaginary title sequence not a full sequence; appreciate your idea’s.
Thanks
Eyad

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 17, 2008 at 10:20:33 am

Cool and all, but it's almost a direct 1:1 copy of the Video Copilot tutorial including the colors used. That makes it hard to judge because the question is, are we judging it on its own merits or on how well it was replicated? On its own merits, it doesn't seem like you did much to make it "your own" vs. the tutorial.

Outside of that, the camera feels a little like it's a yo-yo on a string, bouncing in and out without any real motivation for those moves. Camera moves should almost always be motivated by something. For example, the smoke blowing past the camera might, in the real world, cause it to shudder momentarily.

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:58:32 pm

well; I think I gave a credit to Andrew if you read my first post; I didn't deny it.
Scroll up and check.

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 18, 2008 at 2:06:29 am

I know you credited him. I was just asking, what's the point of copying what someone else did and then asking for people to critique your duplicate? If you didn't even pick your own colors or anything there isn't anything to judge or critique except to say "that is a great duplicate of another artist's work."

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 18, 2008 at 3:27:12 am

Easy Man;
I did not finish my first year yet using After Effects; I was happy to finish this title sequence; also Andrew’s tutorial shows how to build the room plus a little camera move; and I’ve seen professionals using the same concept " 3D Room” ; last one was at NAPP show.

This is all for training purpose; am not the kind that take others work and say it’s mine.

Peace

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 18, 2008 at 5:00:27 pm

I totally understand, and I am not trying to be harsh at all so sorry if it comes across that way.

My point is that tutorials are only meant to illustrate concepts and techniques, not be taken literally point by point. You have to put your own spin on it, or you never develop your own personal style. In the professional After Effects artist realm, it's all about personal style, originality and creativity.

A similar example is people who learn to play guitar purely by playing the songs of their favorite artists. Sure they may be able to mimick songs written by other people, but can they make up their own, original, good songs? The choice determines whether they play in a cover band their whole life or go on to be a true rock star.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Jul 19, 2008 at 1:18:20 am

Thank God I’m not playing guitar; or thinking to do so; and if I was I don’t want you in my concerts.

Hay; no bad feelings; it's all cool, your points taken
Peace
Eyad

Return to posts index

Kevin Brock
on Jul 29, 2008 at 10:30:28 pm

With all due respect, I get what you're going after with your response. However, the "guitar hero" analogy is slightly irrelevant. I'm quite sure that your point is that someone must develop the fundamentals and become a "button-pusher" first. Then, by using these skills, the real path to success comes by employing fresh creativity and ingenuity. Right? The people whose work we revere aren't the "computer operators", they are the people who are innovators with regard to the implementation of the toolset.

So...I hate to split hairs, but the guitar theory doesn't apply here. Let's say someone does, as you suggest, learn to play by mimicry alone. If they have the wherewithal to realize that their still learning fundamentals then there's plenty of validity to this path. In theory, these folks could continue to progress and eventually become outstanding "session" players. And they could make a ton of money, ie: millions, doing this. And only this. There's plenty of folks doing it right now! People that only sit it on recordings or travel with tours. They could never pencil one single note of their "own" music. "Good" or not. Point being: music writing is not the sole path to success in the music industry, in general. And not the sole path for guitar players, in particular.

Again, I see your ultimate point and stand behind it! Too often though, I think folks like their analogies get out of hand and they end up being inappropriate. It's all just semantics. Sorry to be such a stickler !

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Aug 2, 2008 at 2:00:31 am

Hey Eyad,

How did you create that flowing blue streak behind your name on the header of your webpage? Can you send me a copy of the project file or tell me how to do it?? THanks.

Motion Graphics Artist and Non-Linear Editor
Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Aug 3, 2008 at 3:11:18 am

It’s an image file created in Photoshop; imported to AE applied “wave warp” plug-in and animating the wave height.

Eyad

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Aug 3, 2008 at 4:49:20 pm

can i get a copy of that image file and can you tell me the parameters for warp? I'd like to try it out and use it on a project if i can.
thanks man.

Motion Graphics Artist and Non-Linear Editor
Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

Eyad Abutaha
on Aug 4, 2008 at 1:04:48 am

Hi Milton;
i am not used to send my files to anyone; but what the heck; send me your e-mail.

Eyad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]