FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on my demo reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Schmidt
Advice on my demo reel
on May 27, 2008 at 10:17:50 pm

Hi,

For the past couple years I've been working steady as a producer, director motion graphics and 3D animator. I've worked in documentaries, commercials and feature films. During this time I never compiled a demo reel and now I'm putting one together with the collection. I don't want to separate the different fields (producer, director, motions graphics) I just want to compile a nice 5 minute reel...if even that long. My question is should I use background music or just cut the pieces down with their original music. Especially the documentaries since the music really is so much a part of the pieces. The problem is some of the Features I did don't even have the audio included. They were SFX pieces for some large features where I just created roto's and lasers. This might seem like a cut and dry question but I'm struggling with this...I want some opinions.

Thanks!

Todd

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Advice on my demo reel
on Jun 2, 2008 at 7:47:07 pm

I struggle with a similar problem. I wear a lot of different hats. I really believe it depends who is going to view your reel and why? (Probably doesn't help much, but...there, I said it :)

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jun 13, 2008 at 10:08:41 pm

I would submit that you cannot meld all three roles together in a reel. You certainly cannot offer a good docu and mograph reel together. The purposes and structures are all different. I would say you have to choose one or the other.

-gl

Prologue Media
http://www.prologuemedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Schmidt
on Jun 13, 2008 at 10:43:22 pm

I know, it does become a bit confusing but I think I found what I'm looking for. Also I've browsed demos all over the internet and found a lot of people who have reels that have molded all the roles together. I'm giving it a shot but will also the option to simply click and view separate projects. For years though I've worked solo doing all roles for one company...kind of hard not to show that and not credit all the roles I took on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]