FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I take the next step?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert McGunnigle
How do I take the next step?
on Apr 11, 2008 at 12:18:10 am

Allow me to clarify:

For the last 7 years, I've been working in television. I got my start in 2001 as a news videographer/editor for a small market station (market 173), where I cut my teeth for over 2 years. In 2003, I scored a job at another small-market station (DMA 156), but this time in the Creative Services Department, where I worked for over 3 years writing, shooting, voicing, and editing commercials. In late 2006, I accepted a Commercial Production job at a medium-market TV station (DMA 41) where I'm currently working.

I'm constantly refining my skills (reading books, checking out podcasts/tutorials on 'The Cow), and trying to find ways to take my work to the next level. Over the last several months I've been getting into motion graphics and visual effects more extensively. I've been thinking about putting together a reel of my best work and submitting it to some private production houses & 'boutique' companies. I'm a little hesitant because I get the feeling that there's a sense of snobbery regarding the quality of TV station-grade production. For the record, I always strive for national-spot quality...and for the most part, I far exceed my clients (and salesperson's) expctations. Basically, what I'm asking is: How should I proceed? What are some pitfalls to avoid? I get the feeling that production houses are a whole other ballgame than TV stations. I feel like I'm ready to produce some high-end work for people who recognize and appreciate it (verbally AND monetarily)!

I apologize for the long-winded post, but if any of you seasoned pros could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Rob McGunnigle
Creative Producer
WHP-TV
Harrisburg, PA

There's no shelf-life on creativity.

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
Re: How do I take the next step?
on Apr 22, 2008 at 5:15:20 pm

I have a hell of a lot less experience than you, but i guess I could say that the worst thing in approaching people is that they could so no. Big deal. If you've got kids you probably say no to them several times a day.

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

"Have a nice day!"

Return to posts index

Robert McGunnigle
Re: How do I take the next step?
on Apr 24, 2008 at 9:35:32 pm

No. I don't have any kids. What I'm looking for are specific insights into the inner workings of production houses. The 'culture' of how they work, and the best way to break into them (professionally speaking, of course).

I'm just wondering if I should start to narrow my focus and specialize in one area and become a guru at it or stay a jack-of-all-trades guy, and continue to be proficient in several skill sets.

Rob

There's no shelf-life on creativity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]