FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spirit is Low ...Need Expert Advice

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kiya Paris
Spirit is Low ...Need Expert Advice
on Mar 30, 2008 at 6:01:01 pm

Hey everyone,

Im feeling a little discouraged from not knowing how to go about cutting my reel. Im an editor only, and my work consist of music vidoes, webisodes, and cable content (entertainment, interviews, behind the scenes stuff) However, im not a motion graphic artist but i definitely know enough to make a peice look decent. The average editor are graphic artist as well and after viewing several reels my spirit became extremely low. How do i cut a reel that is a editors reel opposed to a editor/compositor/graphic etc..... PLEASE advise it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post :(

" You can always get back what was lost except time wasted, so what are you waiting for"

Return to posts index

George Loch
Re: Spirit is Low ...Need Expert Advice
on Mar 30, 2008 at 7:13:30 pm

First, I want to suggest most editors are not graphic designers. Many claim to be because they know photoshop but this is not the case. I say this to put your mind at ease as I think many do more damage to their reel than strengthen it. Knowing your strengths and focusing on them will do your more credit.

I would not worry about making it really snazzy - let the work come forward. When someone really puts a lot of work into the "graphics packaging" of a reel it sometimes feels like they are trying to compensate for the lack of good material in the reel itself. I would put more emphasis on making a tight reel that moves along with good pacing. Come up with a good slate to open and close with - something simple and easy to read. You may even want to look at design mags to get some general ideas on type layout. Then you will have a reel that sells you and your strengths. Also, remember to put your best two pieces at the beginning and at the end.

-gl

Prologue Media
http://www.prologuemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kiya Paris
on Mar 30, 2008 at 7:53:17 pm

thanks George for your prompt response. I see what you saying. However, do you think its better to cut like a montage of my work opposed to showing the skill of each individual project with their oringinal music? Im sure this is a VERY common question sorry to fill the statistics!

" You can always get back what was lost except time wasted, so what are you waiting for"

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Mar 30, 2008 at 10:04:51 pm

It really depends on the content of the work. It may be best to compile a reel that offers a montage with an overview of your work and then offer longer segments that show more of the editing passages.

-gl

Prologue Media
http://www.prologuemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]