FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel Feedback please!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Skillen
Demo Reel Feedback please!
on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:47:50 pm

Hey, I have a new demo reel online.

Looking for some feedback. Hoping this can get me some entry-level motion graphics related gigs!

Demo reel is here:

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
Re: Demo Reel Feedback please!
on Mar 25, 2008 at 11:50:48 am

You've got some really cool work here. Good composition, timing and style. The only issues I really have with the reel would be the title slate, length and ending.

I think some design should be put into the slate instead of just having white text on a black background. Design a look for yourself. Remember, your selling yourself as a motion graphics artist and designer, let your slate work for you as a way to show off your skill set and sell you, along with giving them your contact info. That said, if you decide to do anything with it, keep it legible (that's something I'm guilty of).

The length is sort of a double edged sword, shorter is better, but I think your work really stands out, and if you have the pieces, I think the reel could be just a bit longer. That said, only put your best work on your reel (again, something I'm guilty of ^_^). Extra stuff won't do you any good if it's mediocre and don't stretch stuff out to fill up more time either. I also think your ending is a bit abrupt. I think it would be good to either fade the music down in the end or transition out of it somehow.

The way the reel is cut works well, I just think it's a bit short (which is ok because you're new to the game), and the ending is too abrupt. You shouldn't have any trouble landing a gig with this reel. Your work shows great promise. I'm not certain how long you've been at this, but if you're at this level already, I can only imagine where you'll be three years down the road.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you want some more tips.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Demo Reel Feedback please!
on Mar 27, 2008 at 7:40:47 pm

Hey Nathan,

I like what you've got going on.... except for one part.

Right off the top you show what I believe is a name plate built from a Video Co-Pilot tutorial. It looks nice, but if the person who is watching your reel knows it is a template from a step-by-step tutorial, they may question the originality of your other work and ability to create original content. If you want to use something like that, I would drastically alter it. Use different shapes for the plate, different colours and camera movement.... Instead of the design reveal supplied from Video CoPilot, experiment with alternative patterns/generators.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver BC

Octo 3.2, 8gig, 8800GT, 2x23" ACD, 2TB G-Speed eS, Kona LHe....
MBP 2.4, 4gig , 2xLacie Quadra 500gig....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved