FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reels

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Holland
Demo Reels
on Feb 6, 2008 at 2:05:05 am

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on my reels. I have both an Animation & Design Reel as well as General Editors Reel with full edits on it.

Let me know what you think. I am looking for a job out west, hopefully Montana, Idaho or Colorado, my wife is form Wyoming, and would like to have my reel up to snuff before I start looking hard.

Here are the links:

http://www.vimeo.com/667532 Editors Reel

http://www.vimeo.com/667525 Animation & Design Reel

I am working on getting this on a website, one skill I don't have, and getting a higher quality compression so forgive the pixelation for now.

Thanks,

Chris Holland

Return to posts index

Lutz Dieckmann
Re: Demo Reels
on Feb 7, 2008 at 11:36:57 pm

I like it, it´s a fine videocompilation. Classic, straight to the point. Like commercials should be.

Best

Lutz

Thank you for reading this

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Feb 11, 2008 at 9:31:30 pm

Does anyone else have anything, good or bad to say ? I know that i've gotten a bunch of views from here but I am not getting any criticism.

I'd almost rather hear negative over nothing.

If you have a few minutes and check the reel please let me know what you think.

Lutz, thanks fot the response.

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor
Icarus Communications
icaruscommunications.com

Return to posts index

mike nicholas
on Feb 13, 2008 at 1:46:40 am

Since you're asking for feedback, I actually think your graphics reel is really good. Like, LA good...you've got a great style and flow to your pieces, and watching your demo reel I never once got tired of it. However, your editorial reel showed complete spots, and I saw some of your graphics (which were still awesome) in those local ads...nothing against local ads, but they almost seemed to dull the luster of the excellent graphics work, just because creatively the graphics outshone the writing/acting. If you're looking to go to another market, you should have no trouble finding graphics work. And if you're looking to stay mid-market, editorially you should be fine, but moving to the major markets (LA, NY, Chicago) might not be as easy. Just my 2 cents...

"Roto is not a skill, it's a job."

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Feb 14, 2008 at 6:04:30 pm

Mike,

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Made me feel good about the reel. I am not sure there is much I can do about the edit reel. Hopefully people will look past the fact that they are local ads and focus on the edit itself but I hear what you are saying.

I am actually looking in Bozeman, MT and Boise, Idaho right now but there aren't a ton of video production businesses there. I am also looking at Advertising Agencies but there may just not be any opportunities for me in those places. If not then maybe Colorado. I'd love to get a foot in the door at somewhere like Impossible Pictures or Base42 Studios and learn from those guys. Awesome stuff to work on if you can get in, at least from seeing their sites.

We'll see though, again thanks for the feedback.

Chris Holland
Editor
Icarus Communications
icaruscommunications.com

Return to posts index

Scotty D
on Feb 19, 2008 at 3:35:05 pm

Hey Chris,

From watching both, let me comment on one then the other.

Edit Reel: It seemed to drag on, as a compilation it's solid, but maybe considering a trimmed down version too.

Graphics Reel: There is some really good stuff in there, the one thing that I'd take out if I were you is the stuff with the guy sitting at the computer with the matrix stuff behind it, that stuff to my eye looks a little cheese/cheap, especially considering the level of your other graphics, they put that set to shame. Another suggestion I would have would be to give you end frame about 3-5 more seconds so people can read it over and if they want to write down the info they can. Just a thought.

Overall both are well done, hopefully they're able to get you into the places you want to get into!

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Feb 21, 2008 at 2:52:05 pm

Scott,

Thanks for checking the reels.

In regards to the editor's reel I am working on a DVD that will allow someone to watch the compilation or select individual spots so hopefully that won't be a problem with people getting bored.

With the Aniamtion reel I will have to look what I have that could possibly replace the matrix thing. It definetly has to fit the whole that it's in because the whole cut is too the music. I am sure I can find soemthing. Also in regards to the end slate that'r eally just there as a quick bump out. I am also working on setting up a website and won't be linking people to the video you watched so they will have all that info on the site.

Again, thanks for checking it out and giving me your thoughts.

Chris

Chris Holland
Editor
Icarus Communications
icaruscommunications.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]