FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need some REEL critics

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
I need some REEL critics
on Jan 9, 2008 at 8:35:48 pm

Hey guys. Here's a link to my first demo reel. Please give me some comments. What works? What doesn't? What do I need to change?

thanks in advance.

http://www.liftfilms.net/demoreel.htm

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
Re: I need some REEL critics
on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:07:27 pm

You are hardly luke-warm. Your work is beautiful. But...

Whoa. What are you trying to sell? It seems like your reel is trying to sell the story of your life, someone who wants to ultimately get married but is a Bonefish fisherman who might want to play 9 holes before you go home. Way too story driven, your reel should be about your work, not your life.

But, it is superbly edited, very nice work, not sure about the underwater shot of shooting that poor little fish, hope it was a good supper. Good stuff, just focus.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:37:46 pm

thanks for the compliments and advice.

But let me explain my reel a little......I'm still a student so I don't have a lot of material to work with. I still have a couple interviews i've done to add to the mix. The golf footage is a tournament I filmed as a school project. The fishing footage was done for a fishing guide in North Carolina. By the way...that is a red drum, not bonefish. The wedding clips are from weddings i've filmed. Technically, it is all from my work.

How could I edit it to make it not seem like a story of my life?

Again, I appreciate your feedback. I was starting to think no one was going to respond.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jan 16, 2008 at 11:24:07 pm

Luke,
Luke,

Doh! Sorry to mistake a Red Drum for a Bonefish! But great fishing footage nonetheless. I am a fisherman, but haven't done any fishing in the Southern Atlantic.

Your reel should reflect what you want to sell, not what you think you might be able to do or shoot. Think about that, it's important. Find a niche and own it.

If you want to sell your shooting skills, just edit together clips of the great footage you've shot. Does not have to be contiguous or tell a story. You have great footage. Just edit it all so that it flows with your music, which is great.

To sell motion graphics, just put up clips of your best stuff, again in no particular order, maybe pick a different piece of music that fits, whatever.

You are a very promising talent, I am happy to help you with your reel or whatever, call me or contact me through my profile.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Boyd McCollum
on Jan 19, 2008 at 10:36:10 pm

Luke, I agree with Chris. Great stuff as well. One suggestion - drop the "school project" or "only stuff from school" lingo and references completely from your vocabulary. For 2 reason - 1) because your footage doesn't look like that (which is great), and 2) no one will care or know unless you mention it. You're selling yourself and your work speaks for what you can do. When I hear folks bringing up "only school" it tells me that they lack confidence in what they are doing now, and that is more of a red flag in some ways then being inexperienced. I'm not saying you should lie or sell yourself as more than what you are, but definitely don't undersell yourself either. What you are now is a young professional and if anyone asks why you don't have some other type of material on your reel, you can tell them that you haven't worked on that type of project yet, etc...

Boyd

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 19, 2008 at 11:27:29 pm

Good advice, Boyd. Thanks.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Jan 25, 2008 at 10:11:53 pm

You have a very nice shooting eye! Very nice shot compositions!

That said:

Whilst loading, the first frame isn't black, but the very beginning of the fade up of the first sun shot... kinda distracting.

I think you have a fields issue here... I'm guessing that when you encoded the Quicktime (using Compressor?), you may not have properly selected "Progressive" fields. Some folks may not notice this, but I did.

On the whole, I think it's too long. I found myself losing interest a little bit somewhere around 2:00 or so... I definitely *do* appreciate that you have the confidence in your shooting to let the images play for a few seconds... too many reels seek to simply pummel you with 200 edits per minute, without regard to letting the shots "read". I think you might be a hair too much to the other side... just a hair, though.

I *completely* agree with the advice to completely drop any kind of "school" or "school project" from your thinking... your shooting ability is definitely beyond "school".

Good luck, Luke!

-Christian

Christian Glawe editor/compositor christianglawe.com Read my blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/111 Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 27, 2008 at 3:02:18 am

Thanks Christian.

I really appreciate all your advice.

How do I change my settings in compressor to be progressive?

Luke Pearson

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Feb 6, 2008 at 2:09:42 pm

Luke,

Just another piece of input. I agree that the footage looks great. You can tell you deinfinitely have a feel for shooting.

That being said I agree it seems like you are trying to tell a story with the edit and it just confused me. Especially with the music it drew me into one direction and I felt like there was no payoff in the end.

Being one of the guys who has tons of cuts in my Animation & Design Reel I also liked the way you let your footage work.

The only other thing is that I agree with someone else about the fish getting speared. I would lose that personally. You don't know who is going to see that shot and get turned off right there.

Your work is really good and your cinematography is really nice. Good luck.

Chris H.

Chris Holland
Production Manager
Icarus Communications
icaruscommunications.com

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:17:27 pm

Thanks, Chris. I'm in the process of re-editing the reel. I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind. I'm going to repost it later and hopefully it will be more polished. Thanks again.

Luke Pearson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]