FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online reel questions

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Oulashian
Online reel questions
on Jan 9, 2008 at 5:38:35 am

Hi all,

I haven't needed a reel in ages (because I have been working full time for the last several years) but then all of a sudden needed to quickly post some work samples for some people. First online reel. Long story short, I posted a clip of edit samples to YouTube and guess what? It looked like crap! (he jokes . . .)

What is the best place/method/etc. to get a streaming reel online with quality without having to create my own website?

Second question, ignore the quality of the YouTube compression, any feedback on the samples/format? I have done montage reels in the past (2 minutes of montage to music) but I never feel that those really give any sample of actual editing. So I opted for several whole pieces -- times out to 7:51 (downside is that is kind of long).

Any and all feedback welcomed.

David Oulashian

Return to posts index

Boyd McCollum
Re: Online reel questions
on Jan 9, 2008 at 6:44:57 pm

Hi David,

don't have an answer to the first question, though if you search on this forum or just on Google, you should find some pretty quickly. You might want to check an interesting article on Ken Stone's FCP website on encoding for YouTube with Compressor (has useful information whether or not you use FCP or Compressor):

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/youtube_compressor_gary.html

As for your reel, I really like the work you do. I think the first piece acts in the same way as a montage, so it's pretty effective. I like the idea of the graphics that follow, but especially coming off the opening they felt a little slow. I think shortening the graphic and then putting it between each piece in the reel that follows would be great. I'd also think about putting your name back in there as well. The "l" and the "i" in "Reliant" blur together too much and on first glance reads as "Rellant" and I'm thinking, what's that?

The next piece is strong, but unless you edited the trailer for EOM, I'd take it off. I was a little indifferent to following Jessica Simpson with her sister and wasn't too into it - didn't seem to say much as a story. I thought the best piece was the Tommy Lee one and you might want to put that up front.

Overall, after the intro and the first piece, I already know that you can edit in that style, and pretty well, so the rest of the reel begins to feel repetitive - I felt like I watched 8 minutes of E! which I normally wouldn't do. Do you have any pieces in a different style? It'd be good to see a wider range of your work. Even if you don't you should find a way to play with the tempo of the reel so there are beats and pauses, places that are fast, then slow, etc. - sort of like with music.

Other than that, where ever you host your reel, I'd recommend putting up some type of resume and short bio as well.

Boyd
"Go slow to go fast"

Return to posts index

Eric Strauss
on Jan 29, 2008 at 6:43:16 pm

A better hosting site is vimeo (vimeo.com). I highly recommend it.

Return to posts index

Max Miller
on Apr 16, 2008 at 5:54:12 am

Thanks for the Vimeo tip. I had never heard of it and it looks like it will be perfect. I always hate the compression hit I take on myspace and youtube.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]