FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Demo Reel Question

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brodner
Newbie Demo Reel Question
on Jan 7, 2008 at 4:01:55 am

Ive been working on a color correction demo reel for the past couple of weeks now and was reading online about how it would not be a good idea to put still images onto your reel unless you want it in the trash. Is this true? I have small handful of images by a couple professional photographers that I've color corrected over the past year or so that I think fit wonderfully into my reel. I just dont want to waste my time if it isnt worth putting on there ya know?

Bones

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
Re: Newbie Demo Reel Question
on Jan 7, 2008 at 2:26:45 pm

It would depend on what kind of work you want to do. If you are looking for a job color correcting stills, then by all means include them. However, if you're looking for a job color correcting broadcast video, you should include examples of that on your reel.

That being said, you'll probably want to make several different versions of your reel, making each one specific for the job you want to get!

Nate

Return to posts index

Michael Brodner
on Jan 7, 2008 at 9:16:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback nate but what about mixing the 2 medias? Would that be acceptable? Take a look at my current reel at MichaelBrodner.com ive mixed footage with some stills. The stills in there now, are just some personal shots but im working with a couple photographers to get their images.

Bones

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Jan 9, 2008 at 2:16:47 pm

You can certainly do what you'd like with your demo reel...there is no set of hard and fast rules. Personally, I wouldn't mix the two medias if you are looking for employment color correcting video. Your demo reel is nice, but having those stills slows down the pace of things.

I might also suggest that you show your raw video first, then your color corrected video. We (as humans) are so used to seeing the "before and after" that it's a little jarring to see "after then before." While I was watching your reel, I found myself trying to figure out why things were out of order, which made it difficult for me to see what you want me to see - the work you've done.

Which brings me to my final point - nice work! All of your stuff looks great! You've got an awesome demo reel! I think you're 90% there....just a few modifications and you'll be golden!

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]