FORUMS: list search recent posts

What do I need?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rivlinm
What do I need?
on Dec 19, 2007 at 4:22:19 am

I have recently updated to version 2.0 of my demo reel and feel it is slightly better then before, yet still has something to be desired.

I have just graduated with a 4 year degree from the University of Missouri and everything I know I taught myself.

Just in looking at other reels, I feel it is not call-back worthy. Am I being tough on myself?

I feel I could find a job in a sub 50 market editing local car ads or carpet store promos, but hope to do more then that!

Here is the link: http://www.amrivlin.com/rivlinm/demo_reel.html

The main clip is the first play on the disc, then each of the other three videos are the options for the viewer. I have not upgraded to Encore CS3 to embed it as flash yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Seth Hancock
Re: What do I need?
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:27:51 am

Matthew,

First off, congratulations on graduating from Mizzu! I wish you the best of luck in this exciting time.

With regards to your reel. I think you have some good jumping off points with which to build. Yes, you're right. There is something missing...sizzle! You reel is too long in all elements of editing, shooting and graphics.

In editing, I never really got a sense of what you were trying to say, show or sell. Find something (either what you have shot or other footage) and start to cut it creatively. Use time remapping, get better, hard-hitting music to cut to and show us that you can tell a story...creatively!

In videography, the first thing I would tell you is to stop putting what you are using. If you are a good shooter and understand principles of shooting then it shouldn't matter what camera you are using. I would take some of the best shots you have and put those together in a concise segment. For instance, the shot with the lizard/gecko, I had no idea what you were trying to show or how this was supposed to be a "cool" shot.

In graphics, you really need to STOP using Trapcode's Shine the way we have seen it used for the last 5-6 years. I did an opening for a show and used Shine but instead of the what we have been used to seeing, I animated the Shimmer settings to create shimmering lights coming off a city than using the standard Shine rays we all know and love. Also, your animations on the Tigers/Cardinals logos as well as the Pepper and Friends logo looked exactly the same. Mix it up, make everything you do mean something in your effects and animations.

Lastly, the opening sequence/composition with your name is the best thing you have. Once I had seen that my hopes were somewhat high. Then the rest of the segments really fall short. If you can keep up the graphics and animations throughout the rest of the video as you did in the opening then you are starting to get somewhere. And, we only need to see your name once. When we see your name in the beginning and then it goes to your name again, I think it is a little overkill. I saw that section as the ending where we are reminded of who did this reel.

I hope this doesn't come across harsh because it is not by any means. You asked... I answered. We all have different tastes and views and this is mine. I think you have the start of something that you can really build upon. And, don't sell yourself short. Aim for a top 50 market and don't stop cutting and creating your reel until you get it.

My $.02!

Seth

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

Seth Hancock
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:28:53 am

Matthew,

First off, congratulations on graduating from Mizzu! I wish you the best of luck in this exciting time.

With regards to your reel. I think you have some good jumping off points with which to build. Yes, you're right. There is something missing...sizzle! You reel is too long in all elements of editing, shooting and graphics.

In editing, I never really got a sense of what you were trying to say, show or sell. Find something (either what you have shot or other footage) and start to cut it creatively. Use time remapping, get better, hard-hitting music to cut to and show us that you can tell a story...creatively!

In videography, the first thing I would tell you is to stop putting what you are using. If you are a good shooter and understand principles of shooting then it shouldn't matter what camera you are using. I would take some of the best shots you have and put those together in a concise segment. For instance, the shot with the lizard/gecko, I had no idea what you were trying to show or how this was supposed to be a "cool" shot.

In graphics, you really need to STOP using Trapcode's Shine the way we have seen it used for the last 5-6 years. I did an opening for a show and used Shine but instead of the what we have been used to seeing, I animated the Shimmer settings to create shimmering lights coming off a city than using the standard Shine rays we all know and love. Also, your animations on the Tigers/Cardinals logos as well as the Pepper and Friends logo looked exactly the same. Mix it up, make everything you do mean something in your effects and animations.

Lastly, the opening sequence/composition with your name is the best thing you have. Once I had seen that my hopes were somewhat high. Then the rest of the segments really fall short. If you can keep up the graphics and animations throughout the rest of the video as you did in the opening then you are starting to get somewhere. And, we only need to see your name once. When we see your name in the beginning and then it goes to your name again, I think it is a little overkill. I saw that section as the ending where we are reminded of who did this reel.

I hope this doesn't come across harsh because it is not by any means. You asked... I answered. We all have different tastes and views and this is mine. I think you have the start of something that you can really build upon. And, don't sell yourself short. Aim for a top 50 market and don't stop cutting and creating your reel until you get it.

My $.02!

Seth

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

Seth Hancock
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:28:53 am

Matthew,

My $.02!

Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

Seth Hancock
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:31:44 am

Matthew,

My $.02!

Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]