My showreel and my problems (advise needed)
(Skip first three passages if you don't need the backstory.)
my name is Dino Muhic and I'm a media producer (in study) and 22 years old.
My strengths are in the post production department (After FX) as well as in directing, photography (camera) and editing.
Thats for the motion graphic part.
Originally I came from the print department and I'm a pro in Photoshop and other designing programs.
Im working on my page now (http://www.dinomuhic.com), the portfolio for my non-motion works is done already but the showreel for the motion stuff is missing.
I did put all of my motion works in a premiere composition. This includes:
- 4 short movies
- 1 training DVD (camera usage)
- some advertisements
- some 3D animations (but Im not that good in 3D)
- post productions (for student movies)
- 3 music videos (for local bands)
- some effect clips I made for fun
My problem is that I don't have a clue how to make the reel because I'm not showing just one skill but all of them at once.
Here is what I got so far: http://www.lividbrew.de/showreel_web.mov (5 minutes, 30MB QT)
Its not finished, just my current step in production. And Im not happy with it...
At the beginning (the first 10 seconds) the logo of my site as well as the name and contact information are missing, just ignore this. They should be displayed there...
So here are my questions:
- Do you think I should make different reels for the different departments or is it a good idea to put it all on one reel?
- Is it too long? The reel is 5 minutes long now, i'm worried if this is not too much? But its alot of content, if it would be just an effects reel it wouldn't be longer than one minute...
- Should I intercut between the different movies/clips? I mean, for example: should I show the content of the car wash advertisement in one row or position it all over the reel in small cuts?
- How should I implement the music clips I made so far into the reel? Because, as you might now, the music playing in the reel all the time is actually a different one...?
- Do you like it so far? Some advise?
Thank you very much?
Dino Muhic aka Cletus
Do you think I should make different reels for the different departments or is it a good idea to put it all on one reel?
Yes. Separate reels are better. Show them your skills in the area that you want to work. If they want you to do everything, then a client will be willing to watch more than one reel.
Is it too long?
Yes. Keep it under 3 minutes, 2.5 is better.
Should I intercut between the different movies/clips?
Yes. The quality of material should determine how it's arranged. Show a short portion of the scene if you need to establish the context, but there's really no need to keep each project's material together.
How should I implement the music clips I made so far into the reel?
Honestly, I couldn't tell if a clip was supposed to go with different music.
Do you like it so far? Some advise?
You've got some great material to work with. My advice, after breaking up your different skills, would be to cut the fat. If it doesn't say "wow" there's no need to include it in your reel.