FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinions and advice please...

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Jones
Opinions and advice please...
on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:35:01 am

Greetings all,

I do motion graphics for a corporate media company. We do quite a few 3-4 minute videos for companies that consist pretty much entirely of graphics with green-screened interviewees, which we then stream (with no download time, apparently) on their sites.

I want to show you a video we made, but I don't want a critique (we're aware of its failings!), more an appraisal of how many 8-hour graphics days you think it would take to complete.

Here it is...

http://www.webitpr.com

So, how long do you think it would take one operator to make that video after being provided with edited greenscreen interviews in Final Cut, and the company's logos, brochure, style guide etc?

Many thanks...

Nico Jones

Big Button Media

Return to posts index

nateboston
Re: Opinions and advice please...
on Aug 8, 2007 at 2:08:41 pm

Nico -

This is a very broad question, but I'll take a stab at it.

After watching the video I have to ask myself a couple of questions. First, how experienced is the operator doing the graphics? What tools do they have to complete them? How fast is the computer their using? Where they provided a script/concept, or are they responsible for creating the entire story line?

I'm going to assume this person fairly quick and experienced, has a decent computer set-up, and was given all the elements needed, including a script. I'll also assume nothing goes wrong, and they are rendering most of this stuff overnight, so when they come in in the AM it's ready to be tweaked. Finally I'll assume they have done a couple of these, so things like camera moves and such are pretty standard.

Okay, given all that, I'd say a reasonable estimate would be roughly 2 weeks, working full 8 hour days. If you include getting client feedback, changing things, etc, it's probably closer to 3 weeks.

So what's the deal? Are they grilling you for taking too long to complete massive graphic orientated projects? These things take precious time! Rendering alone could set you back a week! Especially if you want to get it right...

-Nate

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Aug 8, 2007 at 2:26:31 pm

hey there, thanks for the response,

Yeah the greenscreen footage is already shot and cut into a story in FCP so no editing required really, but the gfx guy has to come up with the 'environment' from scratch then deliver the final piece. Everything is done entirely in AE and FCP on a G5 quad core power PC.

From the point when we're given the edited greenscreen stuff a video like that usually has to be out the door, changes and all, in under a week max.

Return to posts index

nateboston
on Aug 8, 2007 at 3:25:45 pm

Wow, that's impressive! I'm surprised you are only using AE and FCP. I would have thought you needed a true 3D program, such as cinema 4D. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my copy of AE...

Anyway, I guess if you do a lot of these they get easier, but a week is a quick turn around. Kudos to you.

Return to posts index

Flowmotion
on Aug 9, 2007 at 2:21:21 am

Nice stuff! I hope you are getting paid very well.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 10, 2007 at 12:31:50 am

I'd like to see a second one. Reason being, if the second one is very close in its overall design then I can see a sort of template here and plugging in new graphics, changing the camera moves a bit and you're done.

On these kinds of things I have experienced that the first one takes a long time to develop, and the ones after that get more streamlined.

If, however, you are really starting from scratch each time and you are getting very different looks, then I can say that one week is very tight. I can see some very late nights to get it all done, then there is the render time.

I would burn out in about 3 weeks.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Aug 17, 2007 at 7:03:49 am

well here's the sequel!

http://www.webitpr.com/realwire.asp?id=21

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Sep 19, 2007 at 12:45:19 am

That's impressive and in under a week?! Do you have some templates? I don't see much of a similarity between the 2 versions, same basic feel and such. Do you have to pull all those keys as well? Are you using some sort of 3d particle emitter (trapcode?) I can't imagine trying to use particle world to get some of those particle effects you have there.
That's a lot of questions, sorry, but I'm quite impressed at that second link you posted there.

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Sep 24, 2007 at 9:47:24 am

Hiya,

Yeah, pull all the keys...no templates...particles are always particular.

I'm pleased you like it! No gfx guys ever really get to see the kind of stuff we do...

Return to posts index

Nate Biehl
on Oct 9, 2007 at 10:33:47 pm

That's some SICK GFX work, and a week is a spectacular turnaround. I'm glad you posted, editors like you keep me on my toes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]