FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I build up my Demo Reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
austin
How do I build up my Demo Reel?
on Aug 7, 2007 at 12:19:02 pm

I run my own comapny where I produce, shoot and edit smaller productios (documetarylike or instructional/informative DVDs) up on request as well as making my own shortfilms for film festivals.

In extend to this I also work as a freelance in other TV and Film Production companies with promo editing, motion graphics, tv-shows etc.

How should I in the best way build up my demo reel when I have do so many different things and where do I make the border between my own company and the others?

Return to posts index

kimbobob
Re: How do I build up my Demo Reel?
on Aug 8, 2007 at 2:23:35 pm

The simplest way is to go from best to worst. No matter how you decide to lay it out, put what you think is your best most impressive stuff first and work from there. Sometimes, if not often times, people don't make it past the first 20 seconds if they aren't interested in your work.

Then after you know what you want to start with, group things together in a comprehensive way like categories of techniques or of your roles.

You can use the work from other companies if you say exactly what you did in them. Separate the pieces you did entirely yourself from ones you collaborated on so there's no confusion as to your role.

One of the biggest problems people see to have is that they mash everything together, but there's no explanation of what they did for each clip. Did they shoot it? Edit it? composite it? Write it? Who knows when it's just a bunch of clips edited together.

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Aug 14, 2007 at 1:43:46 am

Lets say for my demo reel I made everything, shot, edited, did the motion graphics, ect. ect. I don't really want to put a message in my actual demo reel video that says I did everything. Would it be tacky if I put a note or something inside the demo reel case that says I made everything?

Return to posts index

kimbobob
on Aug 14, 2007 at 2:09:21 am

It's assumed you did everything if you don't say otherwise, I think. So maybe in the title of the demo it'll get the message across. Or what you're applying for. Maybe point out what you want people to look for in the title. "My editing, Directing, Filming Reel" or whatever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]