FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is a Demo Reel on a CD proffesional?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Romas
Is a Demo Reel on a CD proffesional?
on Aug 6, 2007 at 1:11:41 pm

Hello,

I am applying for some Avid editing jobs and I will like to start sending out a hard copy of my demo reel. I created a page in Macromedia DreamWeaver using HTML tags. The page is a list of the projects I have edited over the years, with links that play the video file. I feel it is well organized and looks pretty good. It is basically what my website will look like, but just burned onto a CD.

So, I was wondering if it was professional to send out a demo reel on a CD, as oppose to a DVD? Also, if a CD is good to send out, what format should I make the files? I was thinking about Flash 8 files at medium quality 400kbps.

Thank you

Return to posts index

mikegn
Re: Is a Demo Reel on a CD proffesional?
on Aug 8, 2007 at 12:32:50 am

No and no on both counts...unless you've been working exclusively on web-material and flash videos. Editors edit film and video; web designers deal in flash. If you give an editorial shop or studio a cd, they'll pop it into a dvd player and it won't play. Next stop for the "broken" disc? The ever popular circular file....
Put your demo on dvd so you can get the best quality possible. 2/3 of your reel is based on presentation and ease of use; too many buttons to push and links to hit will lead to a busy hiring manager / recruiter passing your reel up for a simple plug-n-play dvd.
Files can be whatever formate gives you the highest resolution with least amount of compression; a dvd made in DVD studio pro and quicktimes will be the industry standard.

Return to posts index

Rob Romas
Re: Is a Demo Reel on a CD proffesional?
on Aug 8, 2007 at 3:24:58 pm

Thank you. I have about 15 projects that are all on seperate DVDs.
I will like to include them all on my demo reel. Does DVD Studio Pro let you capture directly into the program?
I use ULEAD DVD. It lets you capture, but its very basic and very time comsuming to do the authoring.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]