FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kim Huston's Editing Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kimbobob
Kim Huston's Editing Demo Reel
on Aug 3, 2007 at 4:55:44 pm

This is the second version of a demo I had made under the strict and kind of weird regiment of the Pixar demo spec. They wanted titles between each example saying what equipment I used, what I wanted to portray as a skill in the clip, include a table of contents for people to read as they watch and follow along (which I do still have, but isn't online), among other things. They also said they didn't really want music throughout the whole thing and sometimes just turn the sound off entirely as they watch.

I took out some of the info on the title cards because I think it was too much to read, and I felt a little stupid trying to come up with intelligible blurbs about why I used each clip. Some things could be explained to the extent of "edited well" and left at that.

So it's not flashy, but hopefully still keeps your interest. I don't think it makes any sense to mash clips together to music for an editing reel anyway. You end up just demonstrating your ability to edit a demo reel instead of anything in it.

So that's what I'm wondering. Does it keep your interest? And what do you think of the last piece, Slug Bug? I actually think the audio is not good enough to put onto the reel, but every single person (regular ol' audience member type people) really likes the full piece. So I could be just paranoid that it's my own voice. It's also a comedy piece, so the audio may be forgivable.

And any other comments you have.

I'm a 23 year old film school grad with a good 7 years of editing in Premiere Pro and 5 in Final Cut Pro, self taught. Still waiting on a professional editing gig, unless you count weddings... which I don't really. I've got a lot of short films under my belt, however.

Return to posts index

nateboston
Re: Kim Huston's Editing Demo Reel
on Aug 3, 2007 at 5:13:40 pm

Hi Kim,

Overall I liked it. The titles in between were a little weird, but if that is what they are looking for then by all means keep them. I did find it interesting to see what camera/editing software you used though.

I thought your color correction and chroma key demonstrations were very cool. I also really liked the "Lake Effect" piece - very creative. However, I didn't think the "Graphics" section was very strong. Do you have anything else to put in there? I also didn't like the Slug Bug piece. I wouldn't include it for a professional demo reel. Nothing to do with your voice, the concept didn't work for me.

That's my two cents worth!

Nate

Return to posts index

kimbobob
on Aug 3, 2007 at 5:34:12 pm

Cool. Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately I don't really have a whole lot graphics-wise. I'm a bit of a beginner at After Effects. The two I showed are the opening credits to two of the films. The rest had something really simple for opening titles, and using rendered graphics within the film hasn't really come up yet. But I do like the two things I have. They just aren't so impressive that the few there are wow the audience into thinking I'm this amazing graphics person.

The titles really serve as bullet points to follow along on the table of contents I suppose. Although some things, like the 48 hour and 24 hour film fest submissions need some sort of title to say that's what is unique about them. That they were edited in such a short time.
Do you think the titles on the actual footage I put in (Orientation. 24 Hours Total. 14 Hours editing) is enough?

Return to posts index

kimbobob
on Aug 3, 2007 at 5:42:11 pm

Actually, the Pixar demo instructions are pretty useful, even if you're not going to make it exactly to their specifications.

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/howto.html

Return to posts index

nateboston
on Aug 3, 2007 at 7:45:26 pm

If you don't have anymore graphics on hand, I would just make up some now. You need at least one more on there. The two you have go by so quickly that it's a little confusing.

I think you should break the 48 hour and 24 hour film projects into two separate pieces. Have a slate before each one that describes what it is and what you did on it. I'd lose the actual titles at the bottom of the clips while they're playing. You want each shot to be consistent. They gave you the requirement - tell them what you did for each piece, then show them. I'd do just that.

Return to posts index

kimbobob
on Aug 3, 2007 at 9:29:31 pm

Oh, I'm not following that strictly anymore. I already sent that one off a while ago. Now I'm just keeping a few of the titles around because I think they help explain a few things.

This is just a general demo to send to anyone.

I'll separate out the 48 and 24 then. There is a lot on that one card otherwise.

I'm doing a more finalized version of Orientation as I type this, which may have some more graphics in it. So maybe I can use some of that.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 29, 2007 at 12:47:11 pm

You go Kim, the world needs more editors from SE Wisconsin...there are just too dang few of us. :)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]