Finished Demo Reel, comments?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
c1dumbkid
Finished Demo Reel, comments?
on Aug 1, 2007 at 10:51:07 pm

I am just about out of school and finished my demo reel

http://www.gilmourcreative.com/gilmourmedia/demo1.mov

It's kinda big (27mb) and you need quicktime 7 to view it, I had smaller more compatable files of it, but they are currently MIA.

What do you think? Any comments suggestions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
Re: Finished Demo Reel, comments?
on Aug 1, 2007 at 10:54:12 pm

Here's a version on youtube if you don't have quicktime 7.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Aug 2, 2007 at 1:01:17 am

Hi Chad

Cool reel. The only thing I thought needed to be changed was all the wedding/church stuff at times :37 - 1:09. Many potential employers might attached a stigma to that but I just thought it didn't belong.

Maybe make 2 reels. 1 for motion graphics and 1 for photography.

Return to posts index

mikegn
on Aug 3, 2007 at 12:55:56 am

As a jack-of-all trades reel, it's good, but you might want to focus it a bit depending on who's watching it. Everything you've done looks good, but I was wondering if some shots had been doctored or if they were just good old cinematographer's footage. Making a cinematographer's reel and a motion graphics reel would definitely ease the confusion....
Also, I am a Christian but also work in entertainment; I agree with eric about taking some of the wedding/church stuff out. Not that you should be embarassed by it, but if the person looking at your reel is from another religious background, it may taint their view of your work....
But the stuff looks good, keep it up!

"Roto is not a skill, it's a job."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:24:22 pm

I understand it's a comprehensive reel of your work, but one thing struck me as really out of place. The shots of the apples and tomatoes very early in the reel. I had no idea what you were showing me there, are they pictures you shot, were they part of the preceeding graphics???

Also, the footage near the end, the fields, mountains, little girl, there doesn't seem to be a context to it. Perhaps in your cover letter or resume you explain it, but it's a bit lost on your reel. I might suggest something simpler, a little graphic saying ---Chad Gilmour-Cameraman.

As an aside, I enjoyed very much those shots, you have a good eye for composition. Really liked the berries in front of the bluff and lake(did you composite that at all). The two reflection shots were neat too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Aug 9, 2007 at 11:37:26 am

I appologize for the insane length of this post and for how long it took me to get back to this, I thought I had it set up to email me when there were responses to this thread. Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions.

I guess I am a jack of all trades, I hate to say that about myself because the old saying goes "jack of all trades, master of none". but I enjoy just about every facet of this industry and it's difficult for me to narrow it down. Especially since in my area (Minnesota) people kindof want you to literally be able to do absolutely everything and more.

I do agree with what you guys said about the wedding footage, and my overall goal is to make a completely seperate reel/promotional dvd exclusively for weddings. My only problem right now is that I'm almost out of school, so I really don't have a lot of footage to pick and choose from to throw in my reel, what you saw was basically it.
I guess it wasn't very obvious, but I kinda tried to break up the demo reel in chunks utilizing the moving plates of video as "showing" you a new section. The first section I meant to be about 30 seconds of my absolute best stuff, the second section being wedding stuff, the 3rd section was kindof showing integrating video I shot with motion graphics I created (it kind tapers off to filler material though). The 4th/last section being pure cinemetography (with some colorizing of course).

When I was making the demo reel my motion graphics kinda stood above my cinematography so I threw that in first, and I figured all the cinematography in the back would be "icing on the cake". I just don't have enough footage to support 2-3 reels at this time.

John: there was no compositing involved in any of my material. But there was a fair amount of color correction, especially with the timelapse puddle shot, and the dripping faucet.
Where were you thinking of me putting a camera man title? Did you mean just before the footage was shot or what exactly? I already have cinemetographer listed at the end, but it is brief.

Thanks once again for the feedback.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 9, 2007 at 4:20:34 pm

If it were my reel, I might just put up a nicely designed lower third over the first 2 or 3 shots of the footage. Not to insult any producers reading this, but on reels I personally like to make things as clear as day about what I did...what they are seeing.

Those shots that I liked, it occurred to me initially that it was a sequence of footage you edited, not shot(I'm an editor--so I think editing first).

Really love the berry-bluff-lake shot, that was the one I thought might have been composited. Just great use of DOF and nice work with the color correction. Was that in the Devil's Lake area(north of the Dells)? Spent a ton of time camping and hiking there when I was much much younger.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Aug 9, 2007 at 11:08:58 pm

Hi C1

Why not be creative. Design a comp of the outside of a building, lets say, and in each window is a different "room" which contains your different work. Or maybe a DVD menu with different room buttons with transitions into your reel - know what I mean?

The reason I didn't like the church or wedding stuff isn't because I hate God or Weddings, it doesn't say that your work is "national" or "high end". Not that its not good work but your more talented than that - you shouldn't be trying to get work from weddings videos or local car dealerships. :) Spend the next four months filling in that minute of wedding and church stuff and you have a great reel.

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Aug 10, 2007 at 7:29:56 pm

Seems like a good idea John. I got that berry shot on the top of a cliff/bluff/whatever overlooking lake superior near Two Harbors I think.

Eric, yes, I happen to know exactly what you are talking about, because I was in the class with the person that made the demo reel and dvd menu you are talking about. That's really funny, nice work finding me here. Thanks for the feedback/advice.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Aug 10, 2007 at 8:08:15 pm

Hey!! Not sure what demo reel your talking about? Thats was my idea! :):)

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Aug 14, 2007 at 1:40:14 am

Your idea? Do go to MN School of business? I was in a class with a lady that made that very same DVD Menu you described.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Aug 15, 2007 at 8:19:30 pm

Nope...never went to MN business school. I guess 2 people could have a great idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]