FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to upload video reel to web- hosting?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
annerloo
how to upload video reel to web- hosting?
on Jun 17, 2007 at 4:01:00 am

Hi there, I'm creating my first online video editing reel and would love some advice.

I've built my website in flash and converted my video clips to FLV, but now what?

Do I embed the video files in my website?
Do I use and external video hosting service--and if so, does anyone know of a good one (one that provides professional-looking video quality, not something like youtube)?
Do I opt for "progressive download from a web server"? And what is the web server? Is that a service I have to pay for?

Apologies if these questions seem clueless. Would so appreciate any advice- Thanks!
Anna

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: how to upload video reel to web- hosting?
on Jul 8, 2007 at 2:30:53 am

There are dozens of ways to do it. If you're serious about getting into the business then be serious about the way you present your material (meaning don't post it on a free site littered with ads). Servers that cost are very cheap nowadays. I think 1 & 1 (http://www.oneandone.com) has a $4 a month package that gives you 10 GB and some other cool stuff. I'm sure other services are offering a similar deal.

From a technical standpoint quicktime is still the most common way to post reels, usually 320x240 and sorenson 3 is a codec I see used a lot. Technical folks like that format because you can scrub frames and it's easily savable for viewing later. flv is very web-friendly for obvious reasons but isn't as good about letting you save the work (I don't recall if it lets you scrub frames easily). Again there are dozens of ways to handle this. Windows Media files (.wmv) are another popular way of posting online. You'll probably have to play around a lot with formats to get the one you like.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]