FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound design reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KullerFX
Sound design reel
on Jun 9, 2007 at 3:51:22 pm

This is the first draft of my sound design reel, most of the work i have here are things I recreated the entire sound track for as different individual class projects. I am currently working on acquiring non copy written work such as motion graphics and practicum films. The graphics at the beginning I did in after effects after watching the creative cow podcast and it was the first thing I've ever done in AE and the music in the beginning and end i composed using soundtrack pro loops I think in acid pro. What do you like/dislike about it? let me know. Thank you in advance.
-Greg

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Sound design reel
on Jul 8, 2007 at 3:30:53 am

I'm not as familiar with audio demos as I am with visual ones so I'm reluctant to give too much advice. I can tell you that I feel the same about certain parts of reels in general, whether video or audio.

Audio can make up 50% or more of a video presentation. The reverse is true. Your video quality isn't good and that might reflect poorly on your audio.

The video is of "popular" movies / shows and this will detract attention from what you want them to pay attention to. I give this advice too when someone uses a popular audio track - popular sucks in attention and detracts attention from what you want the viewer to pay attention to - this reflects poorly on you. It can actually hurt you to show toy story 2 footage with your audio, for example, because anyone viewing it will know (and remember well if they have children) what the original audio sounded like. Comparing yourself directly to pixar (or whoever pixar / disney paid big bucks to) may not be the wisest decision.

It shouldn't be too long. I cut it off after spongebob squarepants. I'm guessing most of your prospects will do the same (they may not, again I'm not the best person to give advice for an audio reel).

As far as what video to put in the reel I would favor simple, slower-moving graphics if anything so the viewer has something to keep their eyes on while they listen to your work. Anything popular, weird, fast or jolting is distracting, imo. You may want to get with some of your peers or mentors in the community and get a better handle on what they've done with their reels.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]